Carb solenoid wiring

Hi,

I was looking in my engine compartment the other day and noticed the wiring coming from the carb solenoids had been melted onto another wire it crossed.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms what the solenoids do and whether I need to replace the wire with any specific type or anything else?

Is it worth replacing the solenoids as well or do they not wear out? If it is does anyone know the part numbers?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,You have a webber 32/34 DMTL. The solenoid facing the front of the truck vents the float chamber when the ignition is off ,when you turn the ignition on the solenoid plugs the vent,that`s all so the engine will run fine even if the solenoid is faulty. The solenoid on the passenger side of the carb is the idle cut off valve,its purpose is to prevent `run on ` so when the ignition is switched off the solenoid plunger blocks the fuel channel in the idle circuit...to check it ...with your engine warm and ticking over remove the supply to the solenoid and your engine should stop UNLESS it is so badly set up that the throttle stop has been wound round to provide a tick over...... Hope that helps,give me a nudge on here when you are ready to come round and check your timing ,48 hrs notice would be nice as we had a new Grandchild for Christmas so are a little busier than usual.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Steve,You have a webber 32/34 DMTL. The solenoid facing the front of the truck vents the float chamber when the ignition is off ,when you turn the ignition on the solenoid plugs the vent,that`s all so the engine will run fine even if the solenoid is faulty. The solenoid on the passenger side of the carb is the idle cut off valve,its purpose is to prevent `run on ` so when the ignition is switched off the solenoid plunger blocks the fuel channel in the idle circuit...to check it ...with your engine warm and ticking over remove the supply to the solenoid and your engine should stop UNLESS it is so badly set up that the throttle stop has been wound round to provide a tick over...... Hope that helps,give me a nudge on here when you are ready to come round and check your timing ,48 hrs notice would be nice as we had a new Grandchild for Christmas so are a little busier than usual.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks John.

We've not long given my parents a grandchild so I now know how busy it gets.

My solenoids seem to be working ok but it was running on the other day and I wonder if the wire feeding the solenoids is broken as the outer sheath was melted across other wires.

My 90 is running a lot better after changing all the filters so the points re next but i'll leave it till the end of Jan if thats ok with you?

I'll get some new points, plugs and leads and do the lot in one go.

I'll also replace the wiring to the carb to replace all the melted parts.

Thanks

steve

• 9 years later...

Hi

Terry here. Sorry to invade you threads. I see you know a bit about 2.5 carbs. I bought a little Series 3 with a rough running 2.5 petrol. Before i took the jets out and blow lined them the carb didnt leak. Now after refitting the jets,and when i start the truck petrol pours out of the top of the carb. I blew the carb out with the airline, could i have ruptured the gasket inside? The solinoid facing the front is inoperative. Sorry Steve.

Ta

Yer

Edited by Sankey

I know very little about Carbs.  I learned enough about the Carb i had at the time, nine years ago!  I have forgotten it all since then, confirmed by me reading the above.

I went from a very basic understanding of how a carb works to knowing all of the functions of the carb i had at the time, there is a lot of information out there incl. some very good books. 

Maybe i could sell you a book?