Wheel Offsets and 90 Standard ride height?

The project continues,

Tonight I've been working out how everything is going to fit.

Two things I really want to achieve with my 90 are:

1. Minimal suspension lift

2. Close to standard steering lock

But I still want to fit 35s..... :rolleyes:

To achieve number 1 here is what I'm thinking about.

I'm not keen to modify the front inner guards so this gives me a point to start from, I really need to space the bump stops down 50mm to keep the tyres from rubbing at full lock and articulation, I'll also put 50mm shorter shock towers on, I'm working on the plan of 3 linking the front too.

I am rebuilding the rear tub so up travel won't be a problem in the back, however to balance with the front I'll drop the shock mounts a matching 50mm with bump stops to suit.

When it comes to ride height I'm planning on running about centre of travel (100mm up, 100mm down), this means that there will be about 100mm between bump stop and axle at ride height.

Does any one know what a standard CSW 90 ride height is and where it is measured? Anyone see any problems with running mid travel for ride height?

Now number 2.

With the 35x12.5s running on 7inch rims I figure if I try to keep the inside edge of the tyre at a similar place to the original 7.50s then the lock will be reduced only slightly. Here is what I've worked out.

The inside edge of the original tyres sits about 127mm inside of the hub/wheel mounting surface. This is with standard wheels(-33mm offset) and 7.50s.

The 35's are 100mm wider than the 7.50s so this means that the rim offset would have to change by 50mm, my 7" rim would need a back space of roughly 75mm(3")

So question is, what are your thoughts on wheel offsets? Would a 3" backspace make the 90 un-steerable at low speed? Will it wear wheel bearings like crazy???

I'm thinking of putting on some of the Innovation 4x4 Extended Flexi arches if I go with this much offset.

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers Guys

I'm not keen to modify the front inner guards so this gives me a point to start from, I really need to space the bump stops down 50mm to keep the tyres from rubbing at full lock and articulation, I'll also put 50mm shorter shock towers on, I'm working on the plan of 3 linking the front too.

Minimal lift is a good target IMHO. That said I'm not sure you will need any lift at the front to prevent 35s rubbing on the inner guards (certainly used to be ok on mine with 35s, saggy springs, winch and stock bump stops). Rather than plan to put bigger bump stops in you should be tryng to fit the smaller disco ones (and then match the rear to that).

The front will hit the radius arms on full lock though. Bigger offset is one option (or maybe try spacers) or live with it which at least gives your CVs a better chance of survival.