Tyre choice, super swamper, grizzly claws

Right, this is all new to me and it has taken me over a week to find out how to post. I'm praying this is it :rolleyes:

I am only 16 years old and have a RR bobtail, scorpion and gwyn lewis lift etc. wide arches the list goes on, but my pocket doesn't. :lol: I have some 7x16 modulars with external beadlocks, and I'm looking for something for them to go in. It is only going to be trailered so I would like a pretty aggresive tyre that is around 33"-34" tall and a max of around 11.5" wide maybe. My first thought was the 285/75r16 Grizzly Claw, have run the 265 version before and found them very good, however I have been reading on here that they can fall to pieces but would they for me as I am only doing offroad at low speed, (unless my right foot gets a bit heavy) :D or I thought maybe the super swamper ltb 34/10.5r16. Now that has the same 3 stage lug pattern as the grizzly but is not a remould and is a whopping 8ply! They are £125 each which is really stretching my budget :angry: Or for absolute cheapness buy a macho for £62.

Anybody out there that can help would be much appreciated ;)

Rhys

I've only experience of Grizzly's and BF Mud Terrains.

Depends on what sort of ground you're going over.

I found the grizzly's gripped very well on hard grassy ground but found they clogged fairly easily in the gloop, on soft marshy ground broke the surface even tip-toeing over til you were on the axles. One of mine was faulty from new with one of the lugs of the tread lifting off but this was a few years ago so things may have improved.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

I've only experience of Grizzly's and BF Mud Terrains.

Depends on what sort of ground you're going over.

I found the grizzly's gripped very well on hard grassy ground but found they clogged fairly easily in the gloop, on soft marshy ground broke the surface even tip-toeing over til you were on the axles. One of mine was faulty from new with one of the lugs of the tread lifting off but this was a few years ago so things may have improved.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Hmmmmmm........... I will be using them on hardpack, sand, and normal gloopy and tacky mud. I have used them on these conditions before and foud them quite good but as you say as soon as the ground gets very soft they can dig big holes :(

Have you uprated the axle internals at all? That's quite an aggressive tyre choice for standard parts. Not that it's not doable, just may not prove reliable if the red mist comes down...

Unfortunatly all axles are standard, with grizzlys we broke 2 diffs but that was driver error really, 1. the tyre was wedged up against a bank and then drove, and 2. I reversed hard in a bomb hole to get out of the water (V8's don't do water :( ) and then up a hill and the front diff went bang. Also if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by it isn't doable? Although this info hear sounds like I am a hard driver I'm not. Honest :D

Considering prices I'd go for a Fedima. The have a good Simex copy (called Sirocco) and also a Bogger copy (Trial Ade). Not to wide for their height either.

As said, make sure your axles can handle it, even with a light foor those aggresive tyres could cause problems for an aging driveline. I would consider 24 splines a minimum requirement, a friend who uses 32" Baja Claw copies on his RRC was forced to upgrade, after being trailered home with a destroyed 10-spline rear axle.

Considering prices I'd go for a Fedima. The have a good Simex copy (called Sirocco) and also a Bogger copy (Trial Ade). Not to wide for their height either.

As said, make sure your axles can handle it, even with a light foor those aggresive tyres could cause problems for an aging driveline. I would consider 24 splines a minimum requirement, a friend who uses 32" Baja Claw copies on his RRC was forced to upgrade, after being trailered home with a destroyed 10-spline rear axle.

I have has Fedima Trial ade tyres for three years and they have performed well in all situations, except they are very poor when driving sideways on a slope due to the tread pattern, other than that they are great tyres. Going back to the orginal question if you are not taking the vehicle on the road you may want to consider Greenway alligators very cheap tyres in comparisen to the others althougth they are retreads they work well, I have a freind who uses them and very rarely gets stuck, hope this helps

I did have a look at the fedima's but for a 235/85r16 they want £99, for a remould? :o and I also rang them to enquire about the trial ade but they only do the 35/10.5 now as they 285/75 did not actually come out as that with their tape measure, so they can't sell them. However, I have been looking at a body lift so I can run 35" maybe the maxxis creppy crawlers. But then that would put even more strain on my drivetrain, and I have looked into uprating this through ashcroft, but can I just run stronger half-shafts or would that then put pressure on the diffs and also the CV's? Or can I put a deroitlocker in the back with a 4pin diff, and would that solve my problem or cause more? :( The bob will be trailered everywhere and it's not as if it would be used alot as my other expensive hobby (motocross) takes alot of time and money. Unless I sell that to fund the Rangie? :( Somehow I think not :P

Hi Welcome to the forum, I am quite new here myself.

I am running 35x11.5 16' Simex ET's. I am also running Gwyn Lewis challenge kit. I currently have 24spline rear diff from a Disco and an early 90 front diff. All on standard 1/2 shafts, no lockers etc. I have 'yet' to break anything. My rule is never to be too heavy with the right foot. If its obvious you cant get out, then lift the right foot. Following this I have yet to break anything. What I am saying is that its not 100% necessary to uprate everything straught away, I am planning to stick in hardened 1/2 shafts and CV's but this will like you I guess be as time and money allows.

On the tyre front you could look at Simex Jungle Trekkers, a mate of mine has just sold his Grizzleys, he loved them, but is going for some Creepy Crawlers. However saying that another guy in my local club had his Grizzleys start to shed blocks on the motorway....... I used to run BFG MT's and loved them, great on the road, and not too bad off it, however if your trailering it then you can obviously go more agressive.

Rich.

I have 34x10.50 LTBs, though until I get my arches sorted the only use I've had out of them was testing them on a relatively level but slippy clay/grass farm track. Not the ideal conditions for that sort of tyre compared to my old 7.50 SATs which slipped about less in the ruts.

Incidentally I have no more clearance under my diffs with the LTBs compared to the SATs, though the LTBs were at a lower pressure.

Hi Rich,

I do agree with you that if you know you can't get out or are going to be stuck, stop and get a tug or winch out. I have got a winch so I would rather use that for 2mins than 2hrs in the workshop replacing my diffs, halfshafts etc. Like you over the years things will be uprated as eventually I would like to compete in some minor challenges, at the moment I am not old enough :angry2: but give it time and things will slowly change to my bobtail. I have got a 3.9v8 to go in and that will prob be on weber 500 carb, a roll cage would also be nice in the future when I get a full time job and have left school!!! and at the moment I quite like the idea of an 1" bodylift and 35" creepy crawlers, how does your mate get on with his? and I have only just fitted my gwyn lewis kit so have not had the chance to test it yet, any feedback, what does anyone think?

Hi mate.

My mate is waiting for his creepys to be delivered. I'll get him to post some pics once there on.

With regards to Gwyns kit, very very good, i'm highly impressed. Rear end flex is good, i'm not using polybushes only Genuine LR items. The 25's now run the inside top of the tub, so I need to cut out the rop of the tub and make up some sort of tyre expansion extension..........

The front I was not very happy about but since swapping the polybushes (fitted when I got the truck) to geunie LR, items and getting handy with the drill, the front end flex is pretty good, Pic attached taken last weekend, the front end articulation was much better but I moved the truck forward before my mate took the picture, tyre almost disappeared apparently. I'll give it a go on the twisy off ramp at the next show to see how well it goes. I have had to cut the rear arches by quite alot to get the tyres up.

All in all very impressed. I am not using Gwyns OME springs, I think mine are OME 764's which are slightly softer.

post-3628-1199472514_thumb.jpg

Hi Rhys,

Looks like you've started one of the discussions we all like to have.

I've had Grizzlys on my similar spec Disco for two years (265x75). One of them has fallen apart - now missing 4 or 5 tread blocks. The others are all fine, so variable quality. They grip like stink most of the time and clear well. However I have killed 4 diffs in 2 years - mainly because of an over-keen right foot :huh:

I'd go for the Insa Specail Track - Moose on the forum has just started running them and they grip better than grizzlys, seem to be better quality, are cheaper and work really well aired down (making use of your bead locks).

Hmmmmm......

Looks like this topic could go on forever.........................

From the reviews and pieces I have been reading, it seems that the tyre size with the most widths and tread patterns are the 35"ers. Now, to fit 35's I would need a bodylift, so I looked into that as well, and it seems pretty straight forward, at least I am capable of it (I hope). So, this changes the debate a little. Can anyone recommend a 35" tyre for a beadlocked 7x16 modular? I am thinking maybe the Maxxis Creepy Crawler at £135. Now this has completely changed everything as it has blown my budget to pieces. However, they do say one of the most important parts of an offroader is the tyres, the only bit that is in contact with the ground, unless you get it very wrong! :wacko:

I personly wouldnt bother with a body lift, i'd just cut the arches to save money :D

If you want cheap tyres i doubt much will beat a 265/75 insana turbo these are a gnats whisker under 33" tall, after this surley the best way to go is to at least 35" if not 36?, a set of second hand simex could be had or i spose the maxxis range although do we know how they perform in the gloop?

Personly i'd stick with the tyres you have and get a cage first but i very nearly learnt that the hard way :rolleyes:

Will.

Thanks Will, after more thinking, I have come to a small conclusion that out of the 5 off road sites I go to, 4 of them are on hardpack and sand. After watching a guy with the 35" simex plod around one of the sand courses, now it isn't a particulary challenging course, he got round, but if he did not have enough forward motion the simex dug holes quicker than a JCB! :o However the slightly less agressive tyres got around better there, and after speaking to Jules, he loves his Maxxis tyres and says that they will out perform the simex in the sand. Only one of the sites I go to is the proper gloopy mud so Simex would obviously out perform the maxxis here but I nead a tyre that will perform everywhere and he does say they do clean quite well in the mud, and I need a tyre that is not mega agressive just agressive enough so the maxxis has very nearly convinced me. Can anyone recommend a better tyre?

Thanks Will, after more thinking, I have come to a small conclusion that out of the 5 off road sites I go to, 4 of them are on hardpack and sand. After watching a guy with the 35" simex plod around one of the sand courses, now it isn't a particulary challenging course, he got round, but if he did not have enough forward motion the simex dug holes quicker than a JCB! :o However the slightly less agressive tyres got around better there, and after speaking to Jules, he loves his Maxxis tyres and says that they will out perform the simex in the sand. Only one of the sites I go to is the proper gloopy mud so Simex would obviously out perform the maxxis here but I nead a tyre that will perform everywhere and he does say they do clean quite well in the mud, and I need a tyre that is not mega agressive just agressive enough so the maxxis has very nearly convinced me. Can anyone recommend a better tyre?

All round I've been very impressed with the Maxxis I've seen. Superb on sand, good on road and not at all bad on clay (better than a Mud Terrain) and not expensive for a large set of tyres. Jules' 35's are on 7 x 16 high offset modular beadlocks which seems to be a good combo although making the rims was fairly time consuming.

Yes, he is actually running the setup that I have planned. I bought a set of the beadlocks a little while back, ordered my 7x16 modulars and they never turned up. I have heard that tyresdirectuk have gone bust, and this is where I ordered them from :o Anyway I think a bodylift is now on the cards :D

The actual rims he's got you can't buy off the shelf - they're modulars where the centre's cut out and moved inwards about 30mm. I started building the rims a couple of years ago but never got around to finishing them as they took a while to make (I was doing well if I did one rim a day) and I had other jobs to do. I then chose to save the time and get double beadlocks from the US instead.

Yes, he is actually running the setup that I have planned. I bought a set of the beadlocks a little while back, ordered my 7x16 modulars and they never turned up. I have heard that tyresdirectuk have gone bust, and this is where I ordered them from :o Anyway I think a bodylift is now on the cards :D

Hi I hadn't seen this thread...

We did move the centres of the rims about a inch and it is much more work then I previously anticipated and I wouldn't make my own set again. having said that all the it ended up being cheaper than buying a set of new steel spacers and new rims if that makes sense

I bought the proper body lift kit which deals with all the seat belt and gear stick, high & low stick, Radiator etc...

without it the foot-wells will hit as will the fuel filler and the rear doors would simply be a nightmare to work properly

I do have twin lockers and only currently have hardened shafts in the rear and I'm still in two minds as to fitting GQ front axle and cruiser rear axle on the rangy This I've been told is one good way to get strong axles as it may be cheaper than the two replacement rear shafts which are currently twisted and tougher front inners for the front axle. I'm skint now for a few months so I'm take it easy playing and I can still have loads of fun on the stock parts for now