Tyre choice, super swamper, grizzly claws

Hi I hadn't seen this thread...

We did move the centres of the rims about a inch and it is much more work then I previously anticipated and I wouldn't make my own set again. having said that all the it ended up being cheaper than buying a set of new steel spacers and new rims if that makes sense

I bought the proper body lift kit which deals with all the seat belt and gear stick, high & low stick, Radiator etc...

without it the foot-wells will hit as will the fuel filler and the rear doors would simply be a nightmare to work properly

I do have twin lockers and only currently have hardened shafts in the rear and I'm still in two minds as to fitting GQ front axle and cruiser rear axle on the rangy This I've been told is one good way to get strong axles as it may be cheaper than the two replacement rear shafts which are currently twisted and tougher front inners for the front axle. I'm skint now for a few months so I'm take it easy playing and I can still have loads of fun on the stock parts for now

Yes I know what you are talking about when you have increased the offset of the wheels as I was going to have the same thing done to a set of Rostyles. However like every thing that changed. I would be making the bodylift myself and fitting it. To ade me I am very fortunate that my grandad is a vvvvv. good engineer/handyman, so if I needed brackets for the bumper to rise with the body he would be able to do that. I don't know as yet whether the bumpers will have to go up as I am only having a 30mm bodylift? Unforunatly, I don't understand what you where trying to say on the final part of the message, maybe its me being thick? :wacko:

I don't understand what you where trying to say on the final part of the message, maybe its me being thick? :wacko:

He is talking about putting a Nissan GQ front axel and a Toyota Land Cruser rear axel on the range as they are alot stronger than the land rover ones

He is talking about putting a Nissan GQ front axel and a Toyota Land Cruser rear axel on the range as they are alot stronger than the land rover ones

Yes, I knew that bit, but the forum had a bit of a problem because his message was split up, the end bit that was on my screen was the bit where he said about the doors not working properly and the floor tray rubbing. This is the bit I still don't understand? Can anyone help? Or is it me again, being stupid? :wacko:

Yes, I knew that bit, but the forum had a bit of a problem because his message was split up, the end bit that was on my screen was the bit where he said about the doors not working properly and the floor tray rubbing. This is the bit I still don't understand? Can anyone help? Or is it me again, being stupid? :wacko:

Oh ok

What he mean't was with out the 2" body lift the size of tyres he had would hit the foot wells and the rear doors and lots of trimming would be needed. So it is easyer to put a 2" body lift so you can get bigger tyres on

Oh ok

What he mean't was with out the 2" body lift the size of tyres he had would hit the foot wells and the rear doors and lots of trimming would be needed. So it is easyer to put a 2" body lift so you can get bigger tyres on

Oh right, thank you. I have emailed Simon Buck from Devon 4x4 to ask him what my bobtail would require to accomodate 35" tyres and he said or promised me a 2" spring lift and 1" bodylift. So I am now going for a body lift of 30mm to be safe but would the tyres rub too much? I have quite a long travel sus. kit.

Oh right, thank you. I have emailed Simon Buck from Devon 4x4 to ask him what my bobtail would require to accomodate 35" tyres and he said or promised me a 2" spring lift and 1" bodylift. So I am now going for a body lift of 30mm to be safe but would the tyres rub too much? I have quite a long travel sus. kit.

mmm i have not been able to get on to the devon webb site for a couple of days (seems they need to pay their web bill :D ) so don't be surprised if his does not ans soon :)

Or am i the only one or have they changed their webb address

mmm i have not been able to get on to the devon webb site for a couple of days (seems they need to pay their web bill :D ) so don't be surprised if his does not ans soon :)

Or am i the only one or have they changed their webb address

Seems strange, I can get on their site no probs. Also, Simon has allready emailed me back saying that a 2" spring lift and 1" bodylift would be fine as that is what he used to run on his bobtail with 35" simex. :)

Seems strange, I can get on their site no probs. Also, Simon has allready emailed me back saying that a 2" spring lift and 1" bodylift would be fine as that is what he used to run on his bobtail with 35" simex. :)

Mine is 60mm body-lift and +2" OME and I still get a tiny bit of rubbing on full articulation and loaded on 35" maxxiss.

the rubbing is from the steelwork for the back doors and wheel arches. The Simex are only 34"

Ok it was down over your night my day :) I can get it again now

Mine is 60mm body-lift and +2" OME and I still get a tiny bit of rubbing on full articulation and loaded on 35" maxxiss.

the rubbing is from the steelwork for the back doors and wheel arches. The Simex are only 34"

Ahh, I see now, so I will need a bodylift around the same as yours then. Will my steering be ok, gear stick, Its an auto, also rad. pipes etc. Would I also need to make some brackets to lift the bumpers up?

The Bearmach kit deals with all of that the only thing the kit doest lift is the rear bumper.

you could make it yourself, but I'm lazy and used the kit so I delt with everything over a weekend. :lol:

I have been looking at different kits and have now decided that I am going to lift it by 40mm with some machined alli blocks that I will make and then fabricate some brackets for the radiator and bumpers. There are 2 reasons why I will be making the kit. 1. I am set to a small budget, originally this was not the plan to be lifting the body and now I am spending alot more money on tyres, but what a tyre huh! :D my second reason is I like messing about and making things like the fabrication and welding sort of thing so will be a bit of fun doing it ;) Oh and today I finally tested my suspension, the trailing arms and radius arms are standard so they limit it a bit and also the ramps aren't tall enough, the rear wheel can drop down another 2" yet! It was a bit dark when I took the pic because I was helping my dad all day fit his rock sliders, tank guard and then giving the brakes a bit of a service on his 300tdi 90 which is what I am competing against so my Rangie needs to be more capable than his so this is why some modifications are going to take place! :P

post-6427-1199646983_thumb.jpg

No, its from a company called terrain master. The front is the same, but has been adapted to take a winch. Neat job, and its well out the way. The guy before us did all the majour work like the bobtailing, the scorpion springs, bumpers, winch etc. I am now improving it all :D

I had a set of sill guards on a RRc from them and they were really really good

I had a set of sill guards on a RRc from them and they were really really good

They do seem to (or did) make some quality products, very pleased with the bumpers. I think my doors are a bit past having rock sliders put on to protect them, although the sills on this are very good and currently has an MOT cerificate.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread Rhys, but I see that the issue of tyre size and clearance has come up and the Reads have been helpful. From the information that you and the Reads have do you think the following will clear?:

I'm fitting my Discovery with 37x12.5x16 Superswampers (actual height about 36 inches). It will have a custom 4" front, 4.5" rear lift with the bump stops moved to suit. I was hoping to get away with out a body lift as well due to the centre of gravity problems at this height!

Let me know your thoughts.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread Rhys, but I see that the issue of tyre size and clearance has come up and the Reads have been helpful. From the information that you and the Reads have do you think the following will clear?:

I'm fitting my Discovery with 37x12.5x16 Superswampers (actual height about 36 inches). It will have a custom 4" front, 4.5" rear lift with the bump stops moved to suit. I was hoping to get away with out a body lift as well due to the centre of gravity problems at this height!

Let me know your thoughts.

4" / 100mm is a lot why also do you need to have the lift off set as there are mounts all along the chassis and you could make things more complicated than necessary.

My classic is a 108 wheel base and has a 65mm lift and it could take bigger tyres but I didn't see the need for what I use if for.

is it a disco 1 or 2...

As you all proberly know I am going to run the maxxis creepy crawler in a 35/12.5r16 and I will need 5 of them. Does anyone know where to get the best price for them? I have given innovation4x4 a call and they quoted me £135, which I thought was pretty good, but can I get them cheeper anywhere else, like the indoor 4x4 show in february, or do they not have tyres there as it is quite small?

Rhys

As you all proberly know I am going to run the maxxis creepy crawler in a 35/12.5r16 and I will need 5 of them. Does anyone know where to get the best price for them? I have given innovation4x4 a call and they quoted me £135, which I thought was pretty good, but can I get them cheeper anywhere else, like the indoor 4x4 show in february, or do they not have tyres there as it is quite small?

Rhys

Silverline I think is pushing them at the moment in all the mags