Warming up quickly

gazelle

Now that it has become colder again I would like the grown ups to answer a question that has been bothering me for some time:

If you want to warm up the truck quickly in winter, is it best to:

- Keeps the engine working hard at low revs, or

- Keep the engine working at high revs (once the oil has had a chance to get round!)

- Drive anyway you like as it makes no difference.

The TD5 in the deafener takes an absolute age to heat up and start de-icing the driver - thank god for the heated seats!

Martin

PS I know I could go the Webasto/Eberspatcher route but I cant spare the cash at present

If you have a driveway, put a fan heater in the back of the car the night before and then, when you get up, turn it on. When you then go out (half hour?) later it will be toasty warm in the car and there will be no ice on the windows. If you are lucky the car heater will start to give off it's usual tiny amount of heat before the inside gets cold again. :)

Chris

The exhaust gas temperature on a Tdi is quite a lot higher when you are working it hard at low revs. I can't give you figures as it was installed in my 90 and I haven't got around to putting it in the 110 yet, but if you are doing X mph up a hill and the EGT is getting high, you just drop a gear and use more revs, and the EGT drops back quickly, which in turn would suggest to me that the engine will be putting less heat into the coolant.

I guess this is why they say you should not labour an engine in the running in period.

I would agree that using lower revs would heat up the components quicker - leading to very slightly more heat in the coolant. The question is whether you really want to be working the engine hard just when the lubricant is most viscous and therefore giving the least protection to the engine. I found that putting a cover over the front grille improved the heating no end on my series 3 (well, a piece of cardboard as I couldn't afford one of those nice Land Rover branded covers). Other than that, the best way to make yourself warm is to wear a thicker coat and some gloves :D

As Chris suggested, a fan heater in the back is incredible. I used to live in the High Peak, and winters got a little chilly. I made an extention lead with a timer on the end, and plugged it into a fan heater every night. When it snowed, the heat from the fan heater even melted the snow on the roof - best of all it didn't mist up and was quite warm.

The exhaust gas temperature on a Tdi is quite a lot higher when you are working it hard at low revs. I can't give you figures as it was installed in my 90 and I haven't got around to putting it in the 110 yet, but if you are doing X mph up a hill and the EGT is getting high, you just drop a gear and use more revs, and the EGT drops back quickly, which in turn would suggest to me that the engine will be putting less heat into the coolant.

I guess this is why they say you should not labour an engine in the running in period.

I guess that there are other reasons in the cold to keep your revs down, like keeping traction/keeping torque down on ice etc.

If you have a driveway, put a fan heater in the back of the car the night before and then, when you get up, turn it on. When you then go out (half hour?) later it will be toasty warm in the car and there will be no ice on the windows. If you are lucky the car heater will start to give off it's usual tiny amount of heat before the inside gets cold again. :)

Chris

ooooo I like that a lot!!...off to Argos for a heater me thinks! :i-m_so_happy:

Martin , I have a Kenlowe Hot start In the garage doing nothing , I took it off a 90 and it was working then , It simply taps into the heater hoses and has a plug that by the look of it takes a caravan type hook up and then into the mains .

Failing that Ive found things warm up hell of alot quicker if you block the air flow to the radiator ,Mud usually works well :D

I like the fan heater idea a lot, but the truck is kept in a place to which I cannot run an electric cable with out p***ing off the neighbours. (guess how I know). Hence the need for other options.

Gloves, a hat and a warm coat come time mind!

Martin