Calling Dave...

sixpot

Hi Dave, how's the NA engine inventory coming on? Is the 2.5 still winning favor or have you come up with other possibilities? My own engine is OK at the moment but the gearbox layshaft is complaining. I'm thinking if it's off the road anyway....

Cheers

Luke

Hey Luke;

Well i've spent a lot of time thinking about this and i think the 2.5 petrol engine would be the easiest suitable engine replacement for the 6 cyl.

I've neen corredponding with a guy in Mass. who has fitted a Volvo 2.3 engine and gearbox to his Land Rover.

He made up his own adaptor for the Land Rover transfer case...........

Very interesting .................

Anyway there are a number of good used 2.5 petrols available in England, you just have to get them here...........

My 109" suddenly lost most all of it's oil pressure the other day, not sure of the cause yet.............

I may just offer it for sale "as is" and let someone else sort it out !!

I'd then concentrate efforts on my 110...............

later;

Thanks Dave. Interesting stuff.

When my last engine went pop I looked into all the options in the UK and ended up going for the simple option of finding another 2.6 to put in, albeit the Rover 90 version with a few extra horses. I'm not sure all that conversion work for anything else is really justifiable unless you plan to do an awful lot of modifications and spend a lot of money. In which case you then have to ask, why not spend that money on a 110? Looks like you might be at that point - easier in Canada I guess where I believe the import age is 15 rather than 25 years for compliance exemption, IIRC?

I helped my father put a Merc 240D into our IIa in the '70s and there was a huge amount of work involved. He used the standard gear box and made up his own mating plate. Took weeks and weeks of free time. Good result but I'm not the engineer he is. I may well end up exploring the idea of shipping over a 3 litre six-cylinder as an eventual replacement. Fits the bell-housing but you need to move the battery to make room for the larger head and different intake layout, etc, which is why I didn't go for it the first time. Plus the 3 litre is a rarer beast as it's more desirable.

No silver bullets, eh? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Luke

Hi Luke;

The elusive oil pressure loss search continues................

As far as engines go i think i'd steer clear of any future Rover 6 cylinders, i'm sure it was a good engine in its day but a bit archaic now........

The 2.5 petrol in my 110 (yes i have an imported 110 County here) is a decent tough powerplant and they are available used in the UK......... and one could install a 2.25, after all the majority of 109's came with that engine........

You are correct in a previous post............ We only have to wait 15 years to import from the UK as opposed to your 25 years.............

Of course under the free trade agreement between US/Canada i can import any car/Land Rover from the US regardless of age............ It would be nice to have a NAS spec 110 :rolleyes:

Funny this topic should come up ;)

I recently spun a bearing in my six [no loss of oil pressure to presage it] which has lead to thoughts of replacement.

I have basically come to the same conclusion as sixpot and will probably get a "new" six to put back in the old girl.