Warn XD9000 motor failure, what to replace it with?

ex_mod_90

Hi All.

After a bit of advice really. My XD9000 was lacking somewhat in performance, so I have taken it to bits. Planetary gears are in excellent condition, however due to neglegance on my part, the motor is pretty kippered. The main motor shaft bearing is siezed solid, the commutator is in a very sorry state, and the rotor has been rubbing on atleast two of the 4 magnets. So pretty much stuffed.

I am going to ask the local Warn dealer about getting it repaired, but I am expecting the worst, and will have to fork out for a new motor.

Question is should I fit a normal replacement or is it worth fitting an XP motor for the extra money? I am not planning on letting the winch get in such a sorry state again.......

Also how can I stop this from happening again? I am planning on refitting the motor and gearbox using a bead of sealant, however can a breather be fitted to the motor? Whilst I am writing what grease should be used?

Thanks for your time.

Rich.

I think I should just warn you that if you replace your motor with a high power unit like the bowmotor or the xp unit, it will put extreme stress on the internals of your winch. This will cause the winch to be potentially unreliable dew to the increased power and revoultions of the motor. However, I am planning to upgrade my comeup winch with a bowmotor eventually so would be taking this risk as well. If you only do small amounts of winching throuch mud etc. and there are others with you with winches, then it may be ok. Although I would not put too much faith on the winch when winching up a very long steep incline, because this is the time it is under the most stress. As regards to the champion motor I would stay away, as that is huge, and bursting with power. That is guaranteed to break something. Champion put that motor in their own winch which they desigened to take that sort of power.

Hope this helps

Rhys :)

• 5 months later...
I think I should just warn you that if you replace your motor with a high power unit like the bowmotor or the xp unit, it will put extreme stress on the internals of your winch. This will cause the winch to be potentially unreliable dew to the increased power and revoultions of the motor.

maybe i shouldnt of got one for my husky then :-S time will tell tho

will be getting one for my 8274 when i get that that is :rolleyes:

dave

I think I should just warn you that if you replace your motor with a high power unit like the bowmotor or the xp unit, it will put extreme stress on the internals of your winch. This will cause the winch to be potentially unreliable dew to the increased power and revoultions of the motor.

In theory perhaps, but there are loads of people who upgrade their winch motors and I for one don't hear stories of them failing regularly.

Certainly a Bowmotor or an XP is unlikely to destroy your winch in my experience. Doing things like "bliping" the winch into reverse to stop overrun is more likely to do damage.

My 2p.