Defender 07 model Wading !!

The cynic in me says that they don't need a wading kit because if you go into deep enough water to require one, all the electronics would die.

Have not heard a real reason though.

Pete.

As already mentioned by a well known Land Rover Tuning company on here the ECU is sealed....

I can't remember where I heard this from but I have in the back of my mind that the breathers have been raised and therefore don't need to buy a wading kit (don't know about plugs).

Obviously still need a snorkel.

As already mentioned by a well known Land Rover Tuning company on here the ECU is sealed....

"Sealed for life"?

"Life" being the period between when it is built and when it goes phut due to water ingress :rolleyes:

I heard somewhere that the Ford ECU's do not have a good reputation for water ingress, I don't know how true that is.

Guest diesel_jim
"Life" being the period between when it is built and when it goes phut due to water ingress :rolleyes:

that long? :lol::lol::lol:

more like, when it's built and when you collect the keys.

knowing Tim i reckon he means a bit deeper than that.

IIRC the normal breathers have been raised higher - although i dont see how they can be as they were all up under the bonnet anyway, less the rear axle one, maybe they mean the rear axle one is now in the bonnet as well - don't know

i would still raise them all up the snorkel side and stick and extension loom on the ecu if i were going proper deep

I think if you drown it Land Rover's get out clause will be this, I think what they mean when they say it doesn't need a wading kit is that it can go splahing in puddles quite happily as long as they are no more than 20" deep.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/De...m#tableheading9

I think you are right.

Bear in mind that the "snorkel" Land Rover sell (Mantec type) is intended for dust protection, not deep wading, it doesn't mention wading in the accessory book IIRC and there are certainly no claims for improved wading depth when the snorkel is fitted.

I think if you drown it Land Rover's get out clause will be this, I think what they mean when they say it doesn't need a wading kit is that it can go splahing in puddles quite happily as long as they are no more than 20" deep.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/De...m#tableheading9

Land Rover's quoted wading depth is purely because of the air intake position.

I'll check tonight but I think their "accessories" catalogue includes a deep water wading kit which contradicts what Mantec are saying.

just drive in to some deep water Tim and see what happens :D be sure to video it tho so we can all see :D

Steve,, not quite the answer i was looking for :P

A mail from Mantec, when i asked the question :?:

Yes, we thought so too, we do not have any written confirmation from Land Rover. However, we manufacture the items for Land Rover (ie/ their accessory range & G4 Challenge) and the wading kit is one item that we has been confirmed that is not required for the 07’s.

Which is actually higher on puma than Td5

But that is like saying that if you go bombing through a puddle at 40mph you will be drier sitting on the bonnet than you will sitting inside :)

I don't like the Td5 ECU position but I don't like the Puma one even more...

Maybe it is called a Puma because everybody knows cats don't like water :lol: