Td5 speedo bulb/holders changing.

speedo bulb holders I know they need a partial twist But can't get any tools on them, my speedo has 2 dead bulbs & I want to change them & are they integral with the holder or seperate bulbs ?

[12v 1.2 watt caplees aka wedge type]

what have you used to remove/refit them ?

I haven't had to do this Ralph though I do recall someone else posting when they had trouble and ending up having to take it to a dealers who charged an exorbitant amount of money for the bulbs.

The look like normal push and twist holders so a bit of wood or nylon with a notch cut into the end to fit over the bulb holder should do the trick.

Mo

Hope you find it Ralph.....

I take it you have the new Speedo installed now then ? Is it all working ok ? (apart from the lights.)

not installed yet, just making sure it all works first including the lights. :D

got some new ones today, there integral bulb/holder units.

I haven't had to do this Ralph though I do recall someone else posting when they had trouble and ending up having to take it to a dealers who charged an exorbitant amount of money for the bulbs.

The look like normal push and twist holders so a bit of wood or nylon with a notch cut into the end to fit over the bulb holder should do the trick.

Mo

Cheers Mo, we have some various internal diameter clear tubing at work, so I'll permanently loan some short bits.

How much were the bulbs Ralph ?

Mo

Flipping expensive, are you sitting down, :rolleyes: cos you fall over otherwise, :lol:

went to my parts man at other end of town & he had 3 in stock, pleasantly surprised by that, he then said these are £9.13 each :o but he let me have 2 for 6 quid each, he's had these since Feb 2003 :D now he's got 1 left & I have the 2 I wanted.

part number is YAJ100370 & my 2002 EPC says £2.23 plus vat each. one heck of a price difference, seems these are genuine part only dedicated to the Td5 speedo.

going to check in Halfords to see if they do a similar one part bulb/holder assembly. it says Osram 12v/1.2 on the blue holder so they are 12v 1.2watt bulbs.

speedo bulb holders I know they need a partial twist But can't get any tools on them, my speedo has 2 dead bulbs & I want to change them & are they integral with the holder or seperate bulbs ?

[12v 1.2 watt caplees aka wedge type]

what have you used to remove/refit them ?

A quick check on my one which I have yet to wire up (wibbly wobbly speedo thread...) proves that it is possible with a pair of slim long nosed pliers - but its a bit of a fiddle...

Also for instrument bulbs, some have integral caps, others are replaceable in the cap. The Halfords integral cap type wont fit where the holder has replaceable bulbs (especially when you didn't realise they were replaceable, aargh (it wasn't on a LR..)

JST

I certainly will pass the info on.

Simonb

Cheers, I thought they were replaceable bulbs too but found they're not, will try halfords on way home from work tomorrow & go to my fav tool place for some extra long thin nose pliers.

Ok, further info for all you Defender Td5 speedo users out there.

found a way to change the bulbs that are buried up the end of the tunnels, I bought a small pair of forceps @ £3 from a surplus tools shop near me, 195mm overall length & the gripping ends are 30mm from the pivot pin,

I'm able to get more if anyone wants a pair, just send me a PM for more info. :D

as for another source of bulbs/holder assemblies other than LR, I found that Halfords stock them, the Halfords part number is 509T exterior/interior bulb 12v 1.2w @ £1.99 each, wish I'd looked in their before buying the genuine LR ones. bought 2 for spare bulbs box :D

Photo 1 forceps gripping the bulb holder in the speedo rear.

Photo 2 the forceps

Photo 3 - The Halfords bulb/holder

Photo 4 shows where to grip the bulb holder asembly

Photo 5 a close up of ^^^^^^^^^^

to remove the bulb holder once you've got hold of it, gently rotate 90 degrees, anti-clockwise [to the left as you look at the rear of the speedo] to fit the replacement once gripped insert it down the tunnel & gently rotate clockwise [to the right], you should feel the holder click into place & lock, then remove the tool.

post-20-1200066792_thumb.jpg

post-20-1200066828_thumb.jpg

post-20-1200066915_thumb.jpg

post-20-1200066938_thumb.jpg

post-20-1200066957_thumb.jpg

Edited by western
photo's added.

• 6 months later...