DOOR LOCK SERVO NOT WORKING/300 TDI ?

peter deer

I am opening this new thread ,instead of responding to the old one

I have a 1992 Discovery 300TDI which has developed a fault with the rear door servo lock and I was just wondering if any of you have experienced something simlar, or have any ideas.

I have tried to lift and lower the servo unit on its plate :does not work : If I move the servo down ,the door can be opened when I press the keyfob ,BUT ,i cannot lock the door with the keyfob

When I move the servo up ,it is the contrary that happens

I suspect it could be the servo that is faulty :movements not ample enough?

how do you check if a servo is ok ? If it is not the servo ,what do you think it could be ?

The lock itself is fine ,once the button is pushed up manually ,the lock works very well

When the button is pushed down manually ,,the door is properly locked

My problem comes from the servo I think ,which does not push enough up and down

Do servos wear should they be replaced ?

Peter

I have just sorted a similar problem on mine. The two rear passenger doors needed new lock motor's about £12 ea for reasonable ones (They don't need to be genuine parts, most car alarm places will sell something appropriate). The rear door I just cleaned and lubricated all the linkages and the lock is now working fine. previously it would not un-lock but would lock. I suspect in the future I'll have to replace the lock motor on this door as well.

HTH

Pete.

i happen to have a spare lock set, i stripped out a tailgate from a 300tdi, i have the 200 and swapped all my stuff over, if you need anything give me a shout, will post no probs. :) also look for broken wires where they come through the bodywork into the tailgate, goodluck

i happen to have a spare lock set, i stripped out a tailgate from a 300tdi, i have the 200 and swapped all my stuff over, if you need anything give me a shout, will post no probs. :) also look for broken wires where they come through the bodywork into the tailgate, goodluck

Many thnaks for your responses

The lock itself is fine

Particularly after the above post ,i am now fairly sure this is the servo which is not doing its job

i'll change it

Peter

I would say that nothing is wrong with the actuator (what you call "servo"). Usually, an actuator is either working or not working. "Not working properly" is less to be the case. If you can hear the same loud "clonk" from it as from the ones from the rest of the doors then you don't need to worry about it. But, if you really want to try, you can replace it with one from the back doors to see if a new one is needed, they're the same.

Also, don't worry about the position of the actuator's holding plate. If all the rest of the mechanism is ok then you can set it any way you want, it works the same. So just put it in a middle position and it will work fine.

IMO your problem comes from the well known problem of the "door lock spring". It's been covered before on this forum (and on every LR forum I know in 6 langauges).

My advice is to take out the lock and replace the spring, regardless if you find it in one piece or not. You can buy it from http://www.discoparts.com/asp/d-no.asp?ProductID=99 or from http://disco-compatible-parts.com (it has an ebay store too). Or you can make your own from a suitable spring as I did. Mind that they are sided.

Apart from forums here are some links for you:

http://www.landroverdiscovery.net (further down the right side column - news)

http://www.wizardbilt.com/Door%20Spring%20Installation.htm

Mind that when a door lock spring gives up, the others will follow shortly. I've been through this some time ago: 1st was the tail gate, then a back door, then the other back door, then the passenger front door and, off course, the driver's door. All this in aprox 6 months time.

One last thing: I think your Disco was not made in 1992 since the production of 300Tdi model began in late 1994. Not that it matters to the subject here ...

cipx - does this info apply to the front doors as well? My passenger door doesn't lock properly when you press the button it goes down then bounces up again. OPening the door sets off the alarm so I have to unlock the doors and lean across and manually lock that door first then press the button.

Will that spring be the likely cause?

Yes, this info applies to all the 5 doors on the Disco 1 and some RRs.

What you just wrote about your passenger door is a perfect description of what my passenger front door lock was doing (apart the fact that the passenger door on my vehicle is on the other side).

The only difference is that there's more work to be done on the front doors since you need to take the mirror and the upper frame & window out (by the way: no need to take out the window lifting mechanism or motor like I've seen described somewhere else).

What cipx2 says is spot on. You need to change the little springs (a few quid from Ebay) and the problem will go away!)

many thanks ,cpx2

it ios only because i have been so busy toa=day that I did not buy the actuator !!

I'll do exactly what you say ,change the spring

Nice week end to you all

peter

What cipx2 says is spot on. You need to change the little springs (a few quid from Ebay) and the problem will go away!)

many thanks ,cpx2

it ios only because i have been so busy toa=day that I did not buy the actuator !!

I'll do exactly what you say ,change the spring

Nice week end to you all

peter

I'd agree with the replies - it's the spring.

I'd advise you to change the spring in a confined space or drape a towel over the lock as you do it though. Took me 5-10 mins to do my rear door lock - but an hour to find the sodding spring that pinged off and landed on the street with my first attempt.

Also agree they all go in quick succession so would suggest you just buy the 5 spring pack (see ebay).

I'd agree with the replies - it's the spring.

I'd advise you to change the spring in a confined space or drape a towel over the lock as you do it though. Took me 5-10 mins to do my rear door lock - but an hour to find the sodding spring that pinged off and landed on the street with my first attempt.

Also agree they all go in quick succession so would suggest you just buy the 5 spring pack (see ebay).

ok ,i'll do that

many thanks

peter

• 12 years later...

Hi all, just found this thread...

Changed door spring as it had snapped, but door will not lock, issue i had was that i have to physically pull up door release knob to gain access, now i have resolved this issue but the solenoid bounces... will not pull locking mechanism down but will release door.

Any suggestions, changed solenoid with no difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 4:44 PM, Jim Mason said:

Hi all, just found this thread...

Changed door spring as it had snapped, but door will not lock, issue i had was that i have to physically pull up door release knob to gain access, now i have resolved this issue but the solenoid bounces... will not pull locking mechanism down but will release door.

Any suggestions, changed solenoid with no difference.

Try readjustment of the actuator, slacken the 4 actuator plate screws slightly and move it left and right a couple of mm at a time,  trying the lock unlock with the fob, there’s a sweet spot when the actuator will do what it’s supposed to do... unlock/ lock the tighten the 4 screws.

• 10 months later...