LT230 Input Gear Replacement

bishbosh

I am about to embark on the replacement if the input gear and its bearings in my LT230.

I have acquired the requisite parts from our good friends at Ashcrofts (very friendly, great advice and service and a Forum discount! :i-m_so_happy: )

I know you can change the input gear and auto box output shaft easily enough, but being a complete muppet, I forgot to ask them before they closed for the weekend if it is possible to change the bearing races with the box in situ. If I can avoid it I really don't want to take the box off as it is a right pain on a RR to do.

So, can anyone shed any light on this? "How to" with Les in the tech archive unforunately doesn't cover this one .... yet! :lol:

Ta muchly.

I am about to embark on the replacement if the input gear and its bearings in my LT230.

I have acquired the requisite parts from our good friends at Ashcrofts (very friendly, great advice and service and a Forum discount! :i-m_so_happy: )

I know you can change the input gear and auto box output shaft easily enough, but being a complete muppet, I forgot to ask them before they closed for the weekend if it is possible to change the bearing races with the box in situ. If I can avoid it I really don't want to take the box off as it is a right pain on a RR to do.

So, can anyone shed any light on this? "How to" with Les in the tech archive unforunately doesn't cover this one .... yet! :lol:

Ta muchly.

Bish, the rear race obviously isn't a problem as its in the PTO cover. As far as the front one goes I don't think you'd have too much trouble changing it in situ as its a fairly big hole you've got to work with. Trying to remember what the inside of an LT230 looks like I went and had a look at an old photo and I actually think it wouldn't help much taking the box out as the hole the stub shaft comes through at the front of the box isn't very big. I don't remember it being a terrible job when I did it but it was a while ago....

Yep fraid so Bish ole chap , Its almost impossible to replace the front bearing shell without removing the T box , Ive just overhaualed mine .

Might be worth checking the cross shafts in the centre diff while the box is out , They have a habit of wearing

Bish, why not try first with the transfer box in place? Pull the stub shaft and then have a go with a short heel bar as there's probably just enough space to shift it. For a quick 15 minute try it might be worth it.

Yes, also check the centre diff. If you replace the cross shaft its well worth getting a single peice one from Ashcrofts.