Fitting 200TDi Air Filter

edwardatherton

Right, finally got hold of a better air filter, but need ideas on position.

Space is limited to say the least, so it has to go in the front left corner by the rad.

I may be able to mount it horizontally with a very short hose onto the carb like this (but lower and the hose would be the intake but pointing downwards obviously!)

post-204-1200143544_thumb.jpg

post-204-1200143558_thumb.jpg

Or the other (preferred) option is to mount it upright. This would be easier and neater but the intake would be at the bottom...

post-204-1200143638_thumb.jpg

post-204-1200143705_thumb.jpg

Obviously the wading depth couldn't be higher than the bottom of the intake, and the other problem I foresee is the air flow past the opening - would it have a detrimental effect on the intake having air rushing past when driving?

What about putting a short piece of pipe from the bottom facing backwards along the chassis rail/up to the footwell area?

On a 200TdI Defender the air in [from grille on left wing] sits at the bottom with the engine feeding from the rear of the filter housing, so when wading the forward motion & bow wave from a depression under the engine to keep the filter clear & hence it shouldn't suck any water in.

pics of my 200Tdi 110's air intake system, they might help.

post-20-1200148901_thumb.jpg

post-20-1200148938_thumb.jpg

post-20-1200148951_thumb.jpg