Freelander

newbe

HELLO, i dont own a landrover , yet, but iv been looking to get a freelander because i think they look smart and they are a hell of alot cheeper than defenders. Im on about getting a 3 door TD4 because iv heard about the problems with the head gasgets on the petrol models. I didnt know who else to ask! lol please can some one help me?

HELLO, i dont own a landrover , yet, but iv been looking to get a freelander because i think they look smart and they are a hell of alot cheeper than defenders. Im on about getting a 3 door TD4 because iv heard about the problems with the head gasgets on the petrol models. I didnt know who else to ask! lol please can some one help me?

I'm in the same position as you. I WILL buy a freelander because they do look dead smart. I was also worried about the head gasket problem and was considering the diesel option but I'm now not so worried and am looking for a petrol model. I have a rover 200 which I have owned for almost 4 years and am the second owner of. Its done 38,000 mles and despite all rover engines suffering from the dreaded head gasket probs I have to say I have never lost a scrap of water or had any overheating probs.

Guess it boils down to how and where you drive them. If you are going to thrash em up and down the motorway everyday they will eventually overheat and cause probs. If you drive em 10 mile a day local they will last for ever and give you no probs at all.

Being scouring ebay since before christmas but havnt quite claimed my goal yet but it will come. Oh and I'm looking for the 5 door station wagon so glad we wont be bidding on the same models :P

I've got a 1.8 petrol and despite the horror stories I've not had a problem with it yet. I keep an eye on the temperature gauge and if it ever does creep up I'll stop and switch it off ASAP rather than drive on it till it goes bang. As long as you accept that at some point you *might* have to get the head gasket done, it shouldn't be an issue and won't come as a nasty financial shock. Keep an eye on the water and oil and if it starts disappearing you know something's up.

A petrol one will be a lot cheaper than a TD4 because everyone's terrified of buying them, although all the Lotus & Caterham boys like the 1.8 and reckon the upgraded Land Rover head gasket kit solves the problem.

Can I ask what made you want a Defender / what you're intending to use the vehicle for?

Freelander 1.8's 2.0lt Di's Td4 and V6's there is loads of examples to chose from but if you wanted a Defender and your buying a freelander because it cheaper and you wanted it for a off road toy then you buy the wrong car. For a all rounder green laning and maybe the odd expedition but a play day toy your freelander will struggle to keep up with a disco RR or defender just in the same way the rolls are revised on the road and a freelander will run rings round a conventional 4x4.

I've been a merry member of the Freelander owning fraternaty for a few weeks now, and despite the fact that it's broke already, I love it. :D

As Jules said, it's not the best toy to play with off road compared to Defenders, Discos and Rangies, but it will also get a lot further than some lesser 4x4's. I took mine for a little jolly around Slab common a few weeks ago and it performed great. You just gotta remember that it doesn't have a lot of ground clearence compared to the big boys.

Mine is a 2ltr diesel jobby, I believe its the L series engine? Some say that this is the most robust of the lot, but as it's the only one I've ever owned, can't really comment. But it's well cheaper than running a Camel 110 defender as your daily runabout :lol:

As an all rounder I'd say the Freelander is a crackin' little car.

Dan :)

I have a rover 200 which I have owned for almost 4 years and am the second owner of. Its done 38,000 mles and despite all rover engines suffering from the dreaded head gasket probs I have to say I have never lost a scrap of water or had any overheating probs.

I don't want to be the voice of doom but all three rovers we had in our family suffered head gasket failure at approx 38,000 miles. They were two rover 200 1.6's (an S plate one and a 52 plate one) and a rover 400 1.6 (P Plate). All owned by different members of the family and all well maintained.

Having said that it's not a big job to do as long as the leak is caught soon enough. and I am half looking a getting the missus a freelander as her next vehicle and will quite happily consider the petrol one as well as the diesels.

Pete.

Iv always wanted a defender, ever since i was a nipper (wasnt that long ago im only 21). Iv only been able to fine a couple that have been half decent and cheep. i dont really want to pay more than £6000 but i want it to be decent. iv found one on ebay that is ideal but iv only got £1500 so im gutted lol. This is why i started looking at freelanders, but i look at insurance quotes and they are about £500 more than a defender and more to tax so iv turnd towards defenders again :huh: Know anyone who selling any?

You can get a decent defender for £1500 if you look about, Shaggy's 90 is very tidy and cost about that much. For £3k you should certainly be able to get a solid and straight one, and for £6k there's a hell of a lot about.

Insurance wise I'm not paying much for my Freelander, about £275 fully comp I think.

For your 6k budget you will get a tidy defender suitable for a daily driver and toy..

Stunning services have a plain looking 90 green L reg 200tdi.

the lady that owns it has asked them to list its goodies and try to value it for her.

at a quick glance

very tidy Husky receced into the grill

twin ARB lockers

ARB compressor

Full internal external roll cage

235/85 BFG MT's

terra trip

cb

seats have been moved onto better runners and the rear bulk head removed and all reinforced by the roll cage

If I didn't have the Rangy I would buy it as its one of the tidy est builds and well thought out trucks I have seen for a long time.

It could be a very nice daily driver and is a very very competent off road truck