Waffle Board Mounting On A 90 Hard Top

Ian M

need some ideas, i somehow want to mount them on the roof/ cage. but im struggling to think of a good way of fastening them down aswell as it being a quick release when they are needed, anyone got some ideas or photo's

Ian

Ian, there's no easy solution to this one - I struggled with it for a couple of years without finding a good solution (well apart from going truck cab).

I started off with the roof but it’s not easy to get up there quickly especially if the trucks on anything other than very flat open ground. It’s then even harder to get the waffles back up on top again.

A few people with full external cages sit waffles between the main and rear hoops. This is a fairly nice solution although it cuts down on visibility and it does mean the waffles are pretty short.

Another option would be to take the rear door off on events and use waffle board holders as you might do on a truck cab. The only problem is you have to take the waffles off to get to something at the front of the tub. Not ideal but it does make using waffles easier.

What I ended up doing was having a pair of medium length waffles that sat in the back of the truck against the bulkhead which could be swung out fairly easily. Not idea and a bit fiddly especially when were full of mud but it worked OK. Petergg has done something along these lines although its a bit more elegant - the waffles are on a rack and can be slid out of the side windows. You've just got to hope you've got plenty of space either side of the vehicle.

Although it may seem like a small reason it was influential in me deciding to go king cab. In the process, though, I decided there were a couple of other areas that could do with attention..... ;)

Hi Ian, this lighty has posts welded to the cage, with holes in the top and large R-clips to hold them in place.

Not seen them fall off yet! :lol:

Picture019.jpg

That is not my recommended solution if you are going for a side slope.

Daan

I have two 30mm round pegs sitting 50cm apart. The ends are tappered and have small holes through which I've put Pip-Pins.

Waffles off....10 seconds......back on again.....10 seconds.

My advantage is that I've never used them in mud.....only sand. Waffles filled with heavy mud would be a pig to get up on the roof. I'd be inclined to make a false floor and slide them into the back of the truck that way.

Edited to read... I should have read IMSpanners post first about the waffles on the lightweight.....my system is same but without the R clips.

Daan - I think yours is the nicest solution I've seen to the waffle problem although its not exactly a quick fix!

Thanks for the comment will. But my point is that if you go on a side slope, the 20kg right up in the air might mean the difference between continuing or become the next you tube disaster video.

Daan

Thanks for the comment will. But my point is that if you go on a side slope, the 20kg right up in the air might mean the difference between continuing or become the next you tube disaster video.

Daan

Quite right! Weight is the enemy particularly up high!

• 2 weeks later...