air lock

I ran out of diesel and I have caused an air lock in the fuel system. Tried bleeding the fuel filter got air bubbles out, she would start and run for a few seconds then die. I have bleed the injector pump some air bubbles, loosened the unions on the injectors seem to be getting fuel no bubbles. Does it matter in which order they are bled, in Haynes they list it filter / fuel injector pump then injectors. Does the lift pump need a lot of pumping to clear the air trapped in both the filter and injector pump. If the stop solinoid is clicking is it ok.

Mark

Which veh? On my 200TDI when I change the fuel filter, I replace it empty. If you start the engine and don't touch the throttle it will self bleed and then run smootly. On the TD I'm not sure. HTH

start at tank and work you way forward bleeding using the lift pump to pump the fuel through

when you come to the injectors loosen the fuel lines on the top of and turn it over till it starts to chuff stop turning over and tighten all the fuel lines to injectors and should start

also if you've ran it dry you may have picked up rubbish outta the tank or from sedimenter i'd so hopefully this aint got past the filter may be worth changing that and cleaning everythin out before that

if you've not emptied your sedimenter for abit you may be running on a water an desiel mix and tis why it wont keep going

I will give your suggestions a go guys. The problem is with the 110csw 2.5na. I,m the culprit ! I should not have ran her out of fuel. :( I,m hoping parts are not on the way out she only has about 90,000 on the clock which I beleive to be true as it had 86,000 odd when I got her 4 years ago.

Thanks Mark

in order to bleed the fuel system on a 2.5 n/a you need first to make sure that the ignition is switched ON , otherwise the stop solenoid will not pass any fuel .

it will take a long time to pump up using the lift pump, a quicker way to get fuel up to the filter and to injector pump is to slacken off the fuel union on the fuel filter housing first and then geta compressed air line and blow some air into the fuel tank through the filler neck, use some rag to block the hole up and to cover the air blower tube.

just blow air into tank a little and the fuel will come up out the pipes.

then tighten the union at the fuel filter housing and slacken off the fuel inlet union at the injector pump , get some fuel up to that point also by blowing into fuel tank .

once fuel is up to the injector pump you can slacken off the injector pipes and should be able to turn engine over on the starter and will see fuel dribbling out of the injectors after a short time .

the bleed screws on the injector pump will be little 8mm screws that you will see sticking out the side and possibly top of the pump .

once you see fuel coming out of the injector pipes retighten the nuts and try to start car .

a can of easy start will assist you too , but dont give it too much , just a second of squirting into air filter box will do .

the lift pump will only work when it is in the right place on the camshaft , otherwise the lift arm may not be down .

to get lift pump working you need to take pipe off the output of the pump and put your finger over end of pipe, then pump a bit and lift finger off pipe so you hear the hiss each time, if you keep pumping and releasing the finger it will eventrually suck the fuel up and out of that pipe, then you can work farther up the fuel line .

remember though that you need the ignition switched on when trying to bleed a 2.5n/a

ian

I will give your suggestions a go guys. The problem is with the 110csw 2.5na. I,m the culprit ! I should not have ran her out of fuel. :( I,m hoping parts are not on the way out she only has about 90,000 on the clock which I beleive to be true as it had 86,000 odd when I got her 4 years ago.

Thanks Mark

SORTED

I tried to bleed it again and had no joy. I took of the out fuel line on the l lift pump off, and nothing there but as it was quiet in the garage ( no radio on ) I could hear a hissing sound that stopped when I stopped priming the lift pump. Idea "check where it was coming from". Started at the tank and noticed a small melted area on the fuel line covered in black stone chip,took the wheel of and yes there it was a small hole. That I had caused when welding. Done the necessary repair. Primed her up to the lift pump then to the inj pump then to the inj,s and started her up.

I have to admit I did not appreciate the significance of having the ignition switched on to let fuel into the inj pump, but it makes sence I suppose. Good immobiliser! :huh::huh::huh:

Thanks for the advice guys itwas a great help.

Mark.