Land Rovers to pay to go any where in London

Videoman

Theoretical here... So if I wanted to drive in London...

my 90 was built as a Station Wagon, but the V5 says light 4x4 utility. But to 'reclassify' it I need pictures of the windows (got) and seats in the back (not got!). How would you go about doing that?!

To first drive your defender in London you would need to fix the gearbox and the rear diff!!! :hysterical:

Theoretical here... So if I wanted to drive in London...

my 90 was built as a Station Wagon, but the V5 says light 4x4 utility. But to 'reclassify' it I need pictures of the windows (got) and seats in the back (not got!). How would you go about doing that?!

How would you go about doing what? Taking pictures? ... first you need a camera. :P

.... could you just borrow some seats for the photo shoot? :)

oh thats alright then...

I'm a 1987 LR90 200tdi conversion (light 4x4 utility on log book) with sliding rear windows and fold down rear seats & belts. Will that be classed as a station wagon then?

I've avoided london before now due to the LEZ but might look into getting compliant if a few photos is all it takes... and if its free lol

Just going back to the Puma for a moment, it's interesting to read all the comments from people who don't like them but note with interest that most who have expressed that opinion have never actually owned one. I've said before and it looks like I'm going to have to say it again that I've liked my Puma's, in fact I've found them more usable on a day to day basis than any of the previous models I've owned. The view that they can't be fixed is pretty much tosh too.

Still this has all been covered before. Without people actually forking out their hard cash buying new Land Rovers there won't be any fresh input a few years time for all the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc hand owners to spend the weekends fettling and fixing.

Just going back to the Puma for a moment, it's interesting to read all the comments from people who don't like them but note with interest that most who have expressed that opinion have never actually owned one. I've said before and it looks like I'm going to have to say it again that I've liked my Puma's, in fact I've found them more usable on a day to day basis than any of the previous models I've owned. The view that they can't be fixed is pretty much tosh too.

Still this has all been covered before. Without people actually forking out their hard cash buying new Land Rovers there won't be any fresh input a few years time for all the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc hand owners to spend the weekends fettling and fixing.

Not sure where that suddenly sprang up from! :blink:

Trouble is that not everyone is in a position to buy a new car, so keeping what they have on the road is the only option. Any scheme that forces people to fork out a lot of money to effectively get rid of a useable vehicle and purchase one to comply with new legislation seems a tad unfair to me.

I suspect the Puma will be one of the easiest modern vehicles for the DIY mechanic. Apart from engine ECUs, if you keep the specs simple, its just good old mechanics.

I have never driven anything newer than a 300TDI, I've spent quite a bit of time and money this last year fixing mine due to PO neglect. I have nothing against the newer vehicles, I'm sure they are great, however I'm happy with what I have and couldn't afford to buy a newer Defender that has an LEZ compliant engine. The roller coaster of whether my Station Wagon was exempt or not from the LEZ has made the last year a bit depressing.

thats why you leave one seat in the back.........I can thank Mike for that (mmgemini) as it was he who suggested that whatever i do and where ever i go i should leave that pesky third seat in the back.

I reckon mine was registered with 12 seats but since i went through the whole painfull thing of getting it exempted manually i still have a letter that says it is exempt. I doubt even LR know if its a 12 seater or not.

Forgive me for stating the bleedin obvious but what difference does a couple of seats and a set of windows make to emissions?

Can i get extra tax credit on my company car if i fit a couple of sunroofs to it which clearly will reduce my emissions into the 14% levels........

Dunno how londoners put up with this bollox. I find it more and more irritating each time i go into london trying to suss out where the conjestion zone starts and if i have inadvertently crossed the start line. The number of times i end up paying it just in case and then driving straight thru the centre to get my moneys worth really makes it a lot of sense.

The thing to remember is that the percentage of cyclist, free perk bus and tube passes users is incredibly high in any local government organisation. Put into that the guardian reading pen pushers who see landys as something those hunting types use and you really don't stand a chance

Forgive me for stating the bleedin obvious but what difference does a couple of seats and a set of windows make to emissions?

I agree - makes no sense at all. The ironic thing is that tfl claimed this was never a commercial/private thing (that was their excuse for including private land rovers), but it now seems to have become so.

The thing to remember is that the percentage of cyclist, free perk bus and tube passes users is incredibly high in any local government organisation. Put into that the guardian reading pen pushers who see landys as something those hunting types use and you really don't stand a chance

I was at the Farmers Club on Whitehall a while back and it made me smile to see a row of old 110s and defenders parked outside!

Cynical view..... Businesses don't get to vote in the Mayoral elections.... Boris doesn't want to lose voters.

I live about 400 yards outside of the 'voting area' so get the pain of his ideas but no say.

Can i get extra tax credit on my company car if i fit a couple of sunroofs to it which clearly will reduce my emissions into the 14% levels........

Dunno how londoners put up with this bollox. I find it more and more irritating each time i go into london trying to suss out where the conjestion zone starts and if i have inadvertently crossed the start line. The number of times i end up paying it just in case and then driving straight thru the centre to get my moneys worth really makes it a lot of sense.

It of course has little if nothing to do with reducing emissions, if you take into account the carbon emissions associated with producing new vehicles. And the arbitrary delineations for vehicles like Land Rovers (so a 110 station wagon is ok but a diesel hardtop isn’t, but a petrol hardtop would be, even though they are all the ‘same’ vehicle platform) prove that at no point has anyone with the slightest grasp of physics, or for that matter environmental science been involved in this.

Conversely, were Boris to start banning Rooney-Rovers, he’d be out of a job quicker than Liam Fox should be.

I’ve said it before, but the fact that the graphics on the TfL website show a Defender-shaped vehicle leads me to the conclusion that someone within the organisation wants to ban pollutin’ 4x4s especially old Land Rovers.

And as for the ‘Guardianistas’ – I had an interesting discussion recently with such a person (an ex-BBC employee to boot!) – they couldn’t understand why my mate, who was also present and is a sheep farmer, would need a Land Rover/ ’polluting 4x4’ to tow his two tonne trailer. As in literally wouldn’t accept why a Ford Focus would be unsuitable. Obviously said person cannot be said to represent their group as a whole, but I was just surprised at the closed-mindedness.

Actually at this point the discussion moved onto shooting, so let’s not go there!

FWIW, I think the congestion zone (as distinct from the LEZ) is fairly clearly signposted and it would be hard to drive into it not knowing you had!

My plan: Get a Showman’s licence, so that I can drive into London and cause chaos with my 110 pulling a train of Sankeys!

FWIW, I think the congestion zone (as distinct from the LEZ) is fairly clearly signposted and it would be hard to drive into it not knowing you had!

I agree it is well signposted in the subtle red with a million signs but as soon as I enter the warning zone i think i am in it not 100m away or whatever. Much the same as blues and twos behind me I always think it's me.

I saw containers being loaded up with new truck parts last week so poked my nose in and asked why

I was told they were all obsolete euro 3 parts which couldn't be sold in the EU so they were all being sent to Mexico

So much for it being a global problem then, it's only ever been about money, hauliers would use trucks until they were knackered if they could

the truck industry is going to be really busy for the next few years because nobody wants the new euro 6 engine so they're all ordering euro 5 while they can

It's no wonder why, the euro 6 is heavier, does less mpg and is longer so they're losing space on the trailer

The new euro 6 recycles the exhaust gasses 6 times before they get expelled which means they need massive radiators to cool them down

In years to come I can see every city having rules like London Designed to relieve us of our cash