300tdi rebiuld

I took my head off last night to hunt out my low compression problem and found a 5mm by 1 mm round the edge of no. 3 piston had chipped off and there is damage to the the bore that is adjacent to no.4 and 4 bore shows very bad damage and scouring with signs of pick up which has badly damaged the bore and left signs of seazing but the bores on piston 1 and 2 are like new no marks on bore and no signs of wear, its like a new engine. Wondered if any one has any ideas or come accross this before.

I also have 2 leaking valves but not too bad.

Any advice on what normally causes this will be greatly appreciated.

I paid £127 for the rebore. The engineers need to measure the bores first to determine what size pistons you will need to get. There are a variety of manufacturers of pistons - including 'white box' ones, which have no manufacturers name on. You can pay as little as £40 for one piston assembly, or buy genuine, which cost around £60 each.

Les.