Missfire on 3.9 Auto

Ivan

My Father has a 1998 Discovery 3.9V8i Auto. After running the car for a while, when you try and use the kick down it missfires. Unfortunately he has just moved to Spain so I am not able to help him. It's done about 50,000 miles and is in good nick.

When we first went to Spain (in November) it was missfiring badly. Having no tools I was unable to help him. He took it to a local Land Rover dealer who "did something to the distributor". I think they probably reset the timing. It now runs a lot better but he is still having the problem with the kick down.

Done so far

New plugs and leads (Genuine)

Timing reset

I am going to send a new coil over to be fitted and an new distributor cap and rotor arm.

Any thing else I may have missed ?

Also does anyone know a decent Land Rover mechanic in the Murcia region of Spain?

He took it to another mechanic who told him it was the gearbox and it would cost about £3000 to repair so they are trying to take him for a ride.

Any help most appreciated.

TIA

Ivan

Does the misfire only appear on sudden large throttle movements?

Is it present on gentle/normal driving?

Not on normal gentle driving. Only when he tries to use the kick down. I have arranged for a genuine OEM dizzy cap and rotor arm to be sent to him. We will try this and see what happens. I must admit £30 is way cheaper than the £3000 he has been quoted.

Ivan

Not on normal gentle driving. Only when he tries to use the kick down. I have arranged for a genuine OEM dizzy cap and rotor arm to be sent to him. We will try this and see what happens. I must admit £30 is way cheaper than the £3000 he has been quoted.

Ivan

Well, being as Fridge has not said it already - MEGASQUIRT B)

Perhaps it could be worth sending some vac pipe over as well?

Paintman

Not sure about the vacuum advance. The garage he took it to seemed to make it run better. If the new dizzy cap and rotor arm don't work. Not sure it has a throttle potentiometer as it's a 300 series which means Lucas14Cux Efi.

I would love to megasquirt it but he is in Spain and I am in England. I must admit if all else fails it may be megasquirted.

Rgds

Ivan

Sounds a bit like momentary fuel starvation when the boot goes down, & I wonder if it could be a weak-ish fuel pressure regulator allowing the juice to divert back to the tank. Light throttle...............fine.

Just a thought.

Sounds a bit like momentary fuel starvation when the boot goes down, & I wonder if it could be a weak-ish fuel pressure regulator allowing the juice to divert back to the tank. Light throttle...............fine.

Just a thought.

Have a new one if you can handle snail mail :unsure:;)

14Cux is reliable,for a standard road car its not worth the effort of changing it.

Debatable on many points - worthy of its own thread ;)