Handbrake stuck?

Did some cracking lanes on Saturday, (very wet!). Steering got all stiff and squealy on the way home. Put it down to a wet drive belt and thought it would go away. Didn't go near the car (110 200tdi) until today. Steering VERY stiff and still squealing. Thought I must check the belt in my lunch break at work. When I went to move it to a suitable location, it wouldn't budge! Feels like handbrake sticking on so tried some gentle rocking in low range, still no go. Gave it some more "revs" thinking it would free up but no, just lots of horrible noises. Managed to get it in a safe place and got a lift home. So, is it handbrake stuck on or something more serious? If it is hanbrake, will undoing the adjuster free it up or do I need to do something else? (did try puting transfer box into neutral and all gears were fine)

Suggestions please :(

If the handbrake is jammed on, then even undoing the adjuster on the opposite side might not make it let go as badly adjusted handbrakes do jam even if the mechanism is ok. Undo the adjuster as far out as it will go and if it's still stuck - whack the same side of the drum with a mallet. If you have been driving it with the handbrake on, then the shoes will be cooked and will have to be replaced. When you finally get it off you will need to dismantle the expander unit - make note of the position of the two rollers and slides - they have to go back in a certain position.

Les.

It may be the cable sticking, mine used to do it. Let the handbrake brake off, put the car into gear and chock the wheels. Now lie on your back in a puddle and look up in front of the brake back plate. You see there is a lever there where the cable connects one end and the other end operates the rod into the brake assembly? Push the rod into the backplate. This will should release the brake, Now you see why you chocked the wheels - you did chock them, didn't you?

The problem here is either the cable sticking and simply going loose at the cabin end or it could be the expander sticking and the cable going loose at the brake end. Either way, a new cable and an X-brake will be money well spent. :)

Chris

Hi,

Had exactly the same thing happen to me. Went off-roading then the day after left my 90 standing for 10days, came back to it and handbrake was seized. Managed to free it on the spot by setting the adjuster screw rite down and hitting the drum with a hammer :P . Took it apart when i got back to the workshop and the drum was full of crud and gunk and the cylinder was seized, taped it with a hammer and layerd it in WD40 whilst someone moved the handbrake lever up and down untill it freed up and its been fine since! :D

Hope that helps.

Had a similar problem with my 200Tdi. As described above I found I could release it by going underneath and tapping the actuating rod with a hammer. When I finally got round to stripping it down I found the rollers in the expander unit didn't look like rollers any more. Too chewed up to use, and had damaged the inside of the casing so needed new unit.

Thankyou all! I agree an X brake would be lovely but it's January, you know, the month after December, when Father Christmas brings shed loads of pressies to my 6 kids!! (but no one put X brake on the list)!

Anyway, lots of whacking with LR tool #1 and the drum eventualy let go. Removed prop and found cable operated actuater siezed and adjuster also seized. Stripped it all down, gave it a good clean, re-greased and assembled. Rubbed some emery cloth around the inside of the drum and treated myself to some new brake shoes. All working a treat now. Will need some re-adjusting next week (?) or so. I am still amazed at how quickly it seized so solidly!

Also adjusted the PAS belt but needs a bit more, (still squealing), and fluid does need a bit of a top up too, (tomorrows little jobs).

Thanks again for the typical LR4x4 replys!