Retro Fitting 200Tdi in place of V8

yellowmitch

Hi there. I have an 89 rangie which originally had a 3.5v8 in it. It now has a 200Tdi in it, which is great!

Thing is, when I got it, pretty much everything worked with the exception of the heater plugs.

I would like these to work and have bought a genuine Lucas red glow plug timer relay.

My question is, how do I wire this up?

I need to wire the plugs up themselves firstly (they are fitted and linked together with loops of wire)

Then I need to wire the relay up to the plugs

and finally, I need the relay connected to the ignition live and the output of it (which I presume goes to the plugs) to also illuminate the choke lamp in the binnacle

Hence, hey presto, I will have a retro fitted glowplug heating system

So how do I do it and what are the pins on the relay timer?

Yay!!

Guest diesel_jim

The 4 plugs are looped togher in parallel (the cases are all "earthed" through the engine block, and the screw terminal on top has the +ve)

the one nearest the bulkhead has the extra wire that joins onto the relay.

to connect the relay Have a look at Nicks Jungle scroll down a little way and you'll see all the wiring for the relay.

the relay itself is a ford part! even from the factory they're fitted with ford relays!

The 4 plugs are looped togher in parallel (the cases are all "earthed" through the engine block, and the screw terminal on top has the +ve)

the one nearest the bulkhead has the extra wire that joins onto the relay.

to connect the relay Have a look at Nicks Jungle scroll down a little way and you'll see all the wiring for the relay.

the relay itself is a ford part! even from the factory they're fitted with ford relays!

This is all mega handy stuff to know. Another thing that I THINK i might have discovered is this.....

Is the relay already fitted to the Rangie up in under the dash and just not wired up? I have a feeling it is, as I have found one in there that looks the same.

How do I know what all the big relays (mostly lucas) up under the dash to the right of the steering column are?

Looking forward to hearing.

Thanks

Mitch