P38a Clutch

Exmoor Beast

Jumped in tyhe RR this morning, defrosted the screen in seconds using the heated screen whilst looking smug at the folk scraping away :)

Bum nicely warm on the heated seat I set off up the road, went for 3rd gear and the clutch went straight to the floor and stayed there! :(

$%^&*£

Any ideas?

Hydraulic fault or spring in the clutch?

Will :(

On a Range Rover there are only two pedals. The one on the right makes it go, and the one on the left makes it stop! ;););)

Sorry to hear about your clutch woes, I hope it's something simple.

The Heated windscreen is good isn't it :) Missing that on Defender, I'll have to fit one, so that it can defrost on outside and inside on the Defender :)

Cheers

Steve

I bought one with a proper gearbox Steve ;)

and it was the slave cylinder if anyone is interested :)

£30!, thats 1/3rd of a tank of fuel!

I still love the P38

Will :)

You can still look smug with a nice warm bum as you wait for the recovery :D pleasures of Rangies, oh and when you bash your head off the steering wheel in despair (why I have a flat face) it doesn't hurt so much B) , not sure if it's advisable with airbags though :o

That's not bad money, apart from electronics I think they might be quite a partical everyday motor from what I have seen from others. Yours must be a bit of a rarity with three pedals.

3 pedals are far better for having fun ;)

unfortunately the damn thing got me my first ever speeding ticket last week :( not bad really as I have been doing 20-30,000miles a year for 20years.

New slave cylinder on order so Wednesday looks like an overalls and oil day...ho hum.

Will :)

Will,

When the time comes to change the clutch itself, fork out for the two roll pins that hold the operating fork onto the shaft. Those pins sheared on mine, the week before last, and gave exactly the same symptoms you described, pedal to the floor, and stayed there. When I looked underneath I noticed the slave cylinder piston half out of the cylinder.

I note that while you have diagnosed a hydraulic fault, you haven't actually repaired it yet.

Note that there is no circlip or other positive stop to retain the piston in the cylinder, so if there is a breakage inside the bellhousing which allows the shaft to rotate 'too far' the piston appearing out of the cylinder is a natural consequence.

The pins are part FTC1692, and you need two. I don't know the actual pin size.

Where did you get your £30.00 quote from, for the slave cylinder?

I hope I'm not a harbinger of doom,

David.

The pins are part FTC1692, and you need two. I don't know the actual pin size.

Where did you get your £30.00 quote from, for the slave cylinder?

I hope I'm not a harbinger of doom,

David.

You two guys are the only ones I know of with manuals, maybe they are not as rare as I thought, is the manual an R380 variant?

Sounds similar to the old problem with the Rover manuals with the ball wearing through the pressed steel arm. That is scarry about the lack of a circlip though, mind you if the pins go the hydraulics are not much use to you :o There is always the chance that the piston will get damaged or jam if it comes out that far and brake fluid is not the best thing to have spraying around your bell housing either.