UJ play

Guys,

Have a vibration coming from somewhere and think its coming from around the gearbox area. I am hoping its not the gear box itself. Its worse when i accelerate when slightly laboured (being lazy) say 30 in 4th. If it is the UJ's whats a good way of checking for play???

Guys,

Have a vibration coming from somewhere and think its coming from around the gearbox area. I am hoping its not the gear box itself. Its worse when i accelerate when slightly laboured (being lazy) say 30 in 4th. If it is the UJ's whats a good way of checking for play???

just get underneath and try shaking the prop ends - easy to see the play and easy to replace

get underneath with a pry bar or big screwdriver and see if there's any movement. grease the UJs up (just like you do regularly....) and take it for a drive and see if the grease packing has removed the vibration.

Ultimately, take the props off in turn and go for a drive in diff lock.

In my experience, it doesn't take too long for a rumble in a UJ to turn into easily spotable signs, the collar that retains the needle bearings in the cup will probably start to show signs first.

Its strange Luke cos i grease every 800 - 900 miles being careful not to squeeze the seals out. I will give it a whirl and see whats whats. Will report back later on

Cheers

i alwasy squeeze the greae in till it pops out the seals on all 4 pots if it dont the uj aint gettin grease everywhere and wont last much longer

(this might just be me but its what i was taught on a farm an so far its worked for me)

dave

Seems to be better - like i said in earlier post its worse when engine is slightly laboured - but 5th is especially bad with a quite definate drone - few pumps with the grease and fifth gear is now fine. However i am thinking more towards gearbox now as when i am going down hill in say 4th and then take my boot off the gas it vibrates worse than when accelerating!! What do you guys reckon??

Cheers