2.5D N/A into SIII

Dickie

Can you help??? I've been given an unfinished project for Christmas. the car is a S3 1982, the engine a 2.5D N/A. everything is bolted together except the fuel lines, accelerator cable and exhaust. The electrics can wait a while. I have several problems

what's the best way to connect the accelerator to the injector pump? the pump fitting is different to the S3 cable; the correct cable for the pump does not fit to the S3 accelerator linkages

the front of the injector pump (nearest the radiator) has a threaded hole for a return pipe (I think) - where does this connect to?

I have S3 exhaust front pipe which appears to be about 2" - 3" short (vertically) and won't reach the manifold to connect it. Will a Defender exhaust (3 hole connecting bracket) give me the extra length, or should I cut the S3 and weld in a short section?

The radiator is standard S3. What is the easiest way to connect a top hose to the thermostat housing as no standard hose will fit. Do I have to fit a Defender radiator, or is there a different thermostat housing I can use?

no doubt as the project progresses I'll have more daft questions......

many thanks

Dickie

what's the best way to connect the accelerator to the injector pump? the pump fitting is different to the S3 cable; the correct cable for the pump does not fit to the S3 accelerator linkages

I just made up a rod link to connect a second arm on the pedal shaft to the pump lever, i still have the hand throttle set up in place.

the front of the injector pump (nearest the radiator) has a threaded hole for a return pipe (I think) - where does this connect to?

It connects back to the 2nd inlet port on the fuel filter head casting.

I have S3 exhaust front pipe which appears to be about 2" - 3" short (vertically) and won't reach the manifold to connect it. Will a Defender exhaust (3 hole connecting bracket) give me the extra length, or should I cut the S3 and weld in a short section?

Thats cos your S3 pipe is for a petrol. Do a cut and join with the 2.5 down pipe to the S3 front pipe.

The radiator is standard S3. What is the easiest way to connect a top hose to the thermostat housing as no standard hose will fit. Do I have to fit a Defender radiator, or is there a different thermostat housing I can use?

Change the 2.5 thermostat housing top & thermostat for a series top and thermostat, standard series hoses then fit top and bottom. Check and if nessesary file inside the lower thermo housing if the clearance is a bit tight when the S3 thermo is in place.

I did this conversion a couple of years ago. Extend the downpipe, or get one for a 2.25 diesel (I used one off a 109).

Use the inlet and exhaust manifolds off a 2.25D and everything will fit/line up.

Use the thermostat housing/heater valve assembly off a 2.25 petrol or diesel and then you can use the short 90-deg bend to connect it to the series radiator you already have. I used a re-shaped throttle link rod to make up the throttle connection.

You will need an electrical supply to connect to the fuel cut-off switch - if the previous engine was a petrol, then the coil wire can be used, otherwise you will have to install a secret switch for it.

Les.