Wading plugs...

Hi guys,

Was at my local garage having the issue from earlier thread sorted, and the subject of wading came up (as I was off to do some!)

I told him that I got pretty mucky at Tixover 2 weeks ago, and ever since, my clutch pedal has had an annoying "squeak" if I push it in slowly. He said that the grit & gunk get up there and make the clutch fork squeak.

I was asked if I had wading plugs, and said I did'nt put any in myself......

....should my 300tdi have them in automatically?

.....I seem to recall reading somewhere that your not meant to keep them in all the time, but after doing a search on here, and finding a thread, it seems lots of people do keep them in permanently.

So, whats the crack with these things then? Do I pop them in every time I want to wade or what? Are they really necessary?

AND....where do I get some from? Went to Marshalls in Bedford today, and after waiting half an hour for the guy to look for some, he came back with a print out of a head and asked where they go??!!

Anyone got some lying about for me?

Martin

Are they really necessary?

YES!!!

There should be two, (there are on my 200tdi at least), one in the bottom of the timing chest, and another in the bottom of the bell housing. dirty water is not good for either the timing belt or the clutch, but neither is clutch fluid or oil.

You should fit the plugs when you go wading, and remove them after, or, if you wade a lot, leave them in but remove them once a week, every two weeks or so to check for leaks. the interval is really up to you and depends on how often you wade, and the frequency of wading when you do. if you were going away for a week of greenlaning you could leave them in for the week etc.

IIRC they're 1/2" BSP, same as plumbing end/stop plugs.

was thinking of these over the weekend (whilst on flood watch :) ) the standard depth quoted for my disco is 20", what sort of depth can i cross with plugs in? no, snorkel at the moment, although not planning to go that sort of depth at the moment (too many holes in the boot floor to go too deep, would defeat the object really)

was thinking of these over the weekend (whilst on flood watch :) ) the standard depth quoted for my disco is 20", what sort of depth can i cross with plugs in? no, snorkel at the moment, although not planning to go that sort of depth at the moment (too many holes in the boot floor to go too deep, would defeat the object really)

The main limitation isn't the holes but the air intake. Without a snorkel you can go deeper than 20" if you know what you're doing and push the necessary bow wave (disco pretty good for that) but the risk is that you get water in the engine through the intake (then you're screwed).

Rule of thumb is top of the rims.

cheers. was going through some on saturday that were up to the sills, so took that as my limit for now as didn't want to risk any deeper.

Very wise, water in the engine can mean a brand new engine or an expensive rebuild.

As well as wading plugs, you'll need to extend your axle, gearbox, transfer box breathers and I think on TDI's people drill and tap a hole in the timing cover and fit a breather there too. 1/8" BSP to push-fit pneumatic connectors are what's needed, they're pennies from hydraulics suppliers.

web_IMG_0113.JPG

Obviously this one needs a bit of tube stuck in it to breathe through :unsure:

Snorkels are easy enough though, Safari ones are popular or there's the B&Q route for the more frugal.

web_IMG_0332.jpg

trust me on this when i say you should remove the timing cover wading plug straight after doing any wading!

the covers are NOT 100% guaranteed waterproof.

I found this out the costly way, after a days playing at tong in the lake i went home. All ok.

Drove to work the next day, all ok.

went home via the jetwash to clean all the mud off and then intended to take the wading plugs out when i got home.

Never made it to the jetwash, as the timing belt snapped.

When it got towed to the garage, they phoned me to say that almost a litre of muddy water poured out of the timing cover when they removed the drain plug.

cheers for the info on that, pity they can't design a wading plug with a one way valve in it, so that it lets the water out, but not in.

any design guru's out there?

Seeing as my timing case is nice and oily ( ;) V8 ) and I know nothing about these tdi things - I should probably keep quiet here, but I can't imagine that a properly fitted 1/4BSP plug would allow any water in - is it possible that it's getting in somewhere else?

It does sound like a good idea though, to have a one-way valve in the hole to save releasing anything that does get in elsewhere (or any leaking oil) - has anyone done this?

TwoSheds

V8 RRC

Crawling under your Landy to fit and remove wading plugs keeps you in touch with your oil leaks :)

We all see the oil patches on the drive but whilst looking up from underneath you can see where the oil is leaking from, handy for knowing what to top up or what's going to fail next :)

More seriously though, take the wading plugs out when you have finished playing as like Nick above I've also suffered timing belt failure after having a timing case full of mud soup and then trying to drive home from Slindon, I got as far as Horsham :(

Mo

• 2 months later...