Series front hub bearings

Dickie

the castle nut on my S3 SWB front hub bearing is domed and has no "flats" so according to the manual it must be a 109. I bought a standard SWB bearing kit, which doesn't fit! the inner bearing track is too wide, the outer one is too small! the ones I am trying to replace are the same diameter. what type of hub have I got, 109 or 88??? <_<

the castle nut on my S3 SWB front hub bearing is domed and has no "flats" so according to the manual it must be a 109. I bought a standard SWB bearing kit, which doesn't fit! the inner bearing track is too wide, the outer one is too small! the ones I am trying to replace are the same diameter. what type of hub have I got, 109 or 88??? <_<

The earlier Series ran with the differing sized hub bearings, then were changed to identical inner and outer bearings - 'RTC 3429' x 2 same as most late LR's.

Lee

88-in wheel bearings are-

inner - RTC3416.

outer - RTC3426

seal - RTC3510

109-in wheel bearings are-

inner - RTC3416 (up to Sept 1980), or RTC3429 (from Oct 1980)

outer - RTC3426 (up to Sept 1980), or RTC3429 (from Oct 1980)

seal - RTC3510 (up to Sept 1980), or RTC3511 (from Oct 1980)

The above 109-in parts are the same for 88-in from July 1980

Les.

The earlier Series ran with the differing sized hub bearings, then were changed to identical inner and outer bearings - 'RTC 3429' x 2 same as most late LR's.

Lee

I've never seen a swb series 3 with equal size wheel bearing over here. Only the LWB stage 1 V8's.Is it likely that they were available only for the domestic market? Any chance that these models were also fitted the Stage 1 CV joints ?

Bill.

Bill -

In my parts book there are equal size bearings (RTC3429) for both the 109 (and V8), and 88-in From Oct 1983.

Les.

Les-

July 1980 in my parts book.

October 1983 was when the change was from metal hub caps to plastic caps along with a change in the drive flanges to suit the plastic caps. :rolleyes: