Series vs 90 diffs

muddy

I am considering swapping from standard diffs in my 90 to series ones for the lower gearing, but are the series ones weaker? If so by how much? I do break stuff reasonably often however i am willing to try a pair if they are not significantly weaker. Also on the subject can the lower ratio diff of a series sailsbury be fitted in to a 110 sailsbury axle case? (you can see where i'm going with this cant you :lol: )

Cheers, Will.

Hi,

it seems that you have a 110, in wich case you wont fnd matching diff ratios front and back from a series, as you cant get a 4.1 for a salisbury and no 4.7 for a rover diff...

So your best bet is enther kam (megabucks) or great basin rover in USA. Also these R&P's will be pretty strong then.

One of the users here orders from them quite frequently I think.

JJ

I am considering swapping from standard diffs in my 90 to series ones for the lower gearing, but are the series ones weaker? If so by how much? I do break stuff reasonably often however i am willing to try a pair if they are not significantly weaker. Also on the subject can the lower ratio diff of a series sailsbury be fitted in to a 110 sailsbury axle case? (you can see where i'm going with this cant you :lol: )

Cheers, Will.

Series 4.7:1 ratio diffs are very fragile due to the pinion being smaller in diameter and having less tooth area in mesh with the crownwheel. If you are breaking 3.54's now you'll be breaking 4.7's very regularly.

bill.

Thanks bill.

Is that true of both rover and sailsbury?

Will.

The relative strength comparison still apply to a Salisbury, but you would be very unlikely to break a 4.7 one.Many people in the US run tyres in the 40 to 44 inch diameter range with dana 60 diffs which are the American version of the Salisbury. many of these have ratios down as low as around 7;1(smaller diameter pinion.).

bill.

Cheers both,

john i take it that moglite had a few issues?

Modded diffs are fine but i'm a yorkshireman, if i cant get the bits for less than £50 its a no-goer :lol:

wonders off pondering :rolleyes:

Will.

john i take it that moglite had a few issues?

Andy has several issues but none that can be discussed on a family forum :moglite:

He did at least two because he has two salisburys on his Ibex. I'd just buy it off him and save time all round ;) don't know how hard it was to do the swap.

Swapping ratios from 3.54:1 to 4.7 requires that you also use the 4.7:1 carrier. You also need to possess a bit of knowledge on setting up differential gears ,in addition to a hydraulic press or good quality bearing puller kit, because backlash and bearing preload on Saliburies is adjusted by shims behind the tight fitting and expensive carrier bearing cones. Its all a bit much for the average weekend tinkerer and even though I have done it a couple of dozen times,without the special dummy setup bearings I have it's still a job that would fill me with dread.

Bill.

I've got the KAM 7.75 ring and pinions in my diffs - work fine. However if i were to do it again I would go with the GBR (as sold by ashcrofts) set as they are reverse cut for the front diff - supposed to be far stronger. Also the KAM gears are only ground to suit the rear application - therefore you can not get a good tooth contact pattern on the front diff.

Hope this helps

Adrian

I also run 4.7 Kams as when I got them they were the only one available I believe Ashcroft ones are cheaper.

if you reduce the ratio that much you will need to uprate your shafts as unless your a genital driver your much more likely the go through shafts.

I didn't know that about the front diff but it explains why mine broke up a few weeks ago.

on tyres less than 35' 4.7 on rover diffs is too low.

the challenge 90 the diffs were grate as it gave me so much control and zero clutch troubles for my brother that was originally wearing out a clutch per event on standard diffs.

The Range Rover now has these diffs in it and if I'm honest is a little too low but off road the control again is impressive. also in high it can like most 4.2 V8 LSE's hold its own against the boy racers in the traffic light grand prix.

My rangy has a auto with the BW transfer box

I know a few of those :lol:

Aren't there issues between Series diffs having imperial bearings & later diffs having metric?

That is rigth, but Kam, Ashcroft and Crown all do supply sleves to put outside the metric bearing so that a metric carrier goes into a imperial housing, I have done it to get 24 spline ARB Locker using an old type 4,7 CP I also pegged it the crude way, just a 14mm bolt screwed in so that it just touches the C wheel and then a bit back, since that we have had no issues with CP but on the other hand we are only running 33" MT's, shafts are Maxi, and power is not big from a 2,25petrol but the gearbox is a one ton so the tourque is there somehow anyway.

Regards

Ole.