8274 brake pawl (?)

Michele

Am I supposed to manually disengage the brake pawl before freespoling?

I found the drum stuck sometimes.

Sorry for the dumb question but it sounds odd to me...?

:rolleyes:

From my experience no it shouldn't be an issue. You should just be able to pull out free spool lever. You'll need to match up teeth to engage it back in fully.

If you drum is sticking make sure that brake pads are not sticking together. This can happen when then winch is left idle for some time.

I hardly ever used freespool,just used winch to pay out line.

Cheers

Steve

The freespool on 8274s is usualy very poor. The pull knob only disengages the motor from the gears so when you pull the rope off the drum you are still having to turn all the gears and the brake too. As Steve says, most people just power the winch out to get the cable off, it is usualy fast enough.

Chris

Hi Michele,

Have you seen this?

That should hopefully help you understand how the brake works. I think it may help if the brake spring is newish as that will require more load from the drum to engage the brake. In any case, I agree that powering out is the best alternative. It is just as fast as someone pulling out a cable and really it is easier.

M, as Steve said, the freespool on 8274s is usually VERY poor even when new. I used it once, the first time I used the winch to tension the cable and that's it. FYI, Jim Marsden is going to introduce a kit that allows you to dissengage the drum from the gearbox. I can see that will be a very popular mod.

FYI, Jim Marsden is going to introduce a kit that allows you to dissengage the drum from the gearbox. I can see that will be a very popular mod.

Eeek :o

How is he going to do that safely? Be interesting to see.

I don't see the point. If I take a normal low mount winch on freespool, you can not pull it out faster than the 8274 can power out.

Maybe I'm being thick here but the reason I used to use the freespool on my 8274 (which had the same problem) is cos I can't operate the winch controller and pull the rope out to 50-100ft away at the same time...

Or are we all running wireless remotes these days? (I have one on the MM and, reliability issues aside, it is a huge improvement)

Obviously if you have a passenger to do all the hard work it makes sense :D

Duh :P

If I was out with somebody else I wouldn't be arsing around carting half a ton of ground anchor 50 yards, I'd chuck on a tow rope and be out of there in 45 seconds :rolleyes:

Done what you suggest, on the odd occasions the freespool on the old 8274 was being really pig headed -- usually goes something like this:

Cart ground anchor out to suitable bit of ground and set it (3 trips if using the military ground anchor)

Walk back to vehicle

Winch out estimated amount of cable reqd

Walk out to end of cable

Find cable is 2 feet shorter than distance to ground anchor...

Utter a word beginning with F, another beginning with C and possibly another beginning with B, jump up and down a bit

Walk back again

Power out another couple of feet

Walk out to ground anchor again

Hook on

Walk back again

Winch out

Walk out again

Unhook

Walk back again

Drive to anchor to pick up because too F tired of walking....

Too much walking I think is the answer :P

If the drum bearings are not aligned properly, the bearing drag can add significantly to the other resistances making it difficult to rotate the drum in free spool.

This is one of the main reasons for adding tie bars for the end housing (to keep the ends parallel). Without tie bars, any irregularity of the mounting suface will result in extra drag.

Whoa...been away for few hours and look now!

:)

right

Hi Michele,

Have you seen this?

(...)In any case, I agree that powering out is the best alternative. It is just as fast as someone pulling out a cable and really it is easier.

Hi John,sure I saw your page,and commented weeks ago on the D90 Source (remember?)

I saved the page and stored it along with P44 one in my folder as useful manuals.

Re the freespooling:I and a trusted mate (who usually co-drives) are trying to practice things

(so maybe we'll enter some challenges in a future,I'd like to bring the Cube in UK one day!),

so powering out is fine as long as I'm in the cab and he drags the cable up up up to a tree.

When storing the cable back on the drum it's comfortable to manually freespool,so you pay out exactly and precisely what you need and secure the hook to the winch recovery point and have a nicely tensioned wire...or,at least this is my experience.

On a note,the winch was (and it is yet) almost new when bought it,the previous owner used it as rear winch for a couple of weeks during the RFC selections.

I'm interested as well in Jim's secret projects

:ph34r:

and he knows...

;)

As to the ruined shaft,I bought (at horrible price!) the replacement part,just didn't have the time to do the job yet...I'll then bring the old one to my fabricator and have it clamped and nicely drilled through with some HHD bit.

:angry:

Thanks you all for the replies.

If the drum bearings are not aligned properly, the bearing drag can add significantly to the other resistances making it difficult to rotate the drum in free spool.

That is certainly another potential problem but would be more related to the straightness of the mount and the install. The tie bars are to prevent binding under high load, not light freespooling.

IME, if the brake is free and smooth, it engages easily and pulling on the rope to freespool out is enough to cause it to engage.

When storing the cable back on the drum it's comfortable to manually freespool,so you pay out exactly and precisely what you need and secure the hook to the winch recovery point and have a nicely tensioned wire...or,at least this is my experience.

?????? OK, I can not quite see what you are doing. Freespooling is for letting line out. How does that affect putting it back on the drum.

To tension the rope to the drum, hook the rope to an anchor and pull the vehicle to the anchor with a little brake applied or up a slight grade. To leave it tensioned, hook it to the vehicle anchor and bump the winch motor until it has tensioned....

?????? OK, I can not quite see what you are doing. (...)To leave it tensioned, hook it to the vehicle anchor and bump the winch motor until it has tensioned....

Erm,OK sorry...what I meant is I try not to "bump" the winch motor,

I spool the cable back on the drum (using the motor) a bit more than necessary,

then manually freespool as long as needed to hook the cable and leave it tensioned (not hanging loose).

Being the 8274 fast (and it tends to overrun) I feel this is a safer way...

But it's just me!

P.S.

I hope it makes more sense now...!

Edited by Michele

This helps prevent water from getting into the moving parts of the brake.

Really?

Good to know.

As to bumping the motor...on the LRE forum (or maybe here?) someone wrote

this was a good way to kill the solenoids on the long run...?

Is it so?

I'm not really skilled in electric things.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Michele

I hardly ever used freespool,just used winch to pay out line.

Cheers

Steve

Now that explains why mine is pretty tight to pull the freespool knob out !!,, not been used for a while.

First time i have used a 8274, at 7S over the weekend, Very good,

just got to get use to the motor overrun as so easy to backturn ??!! the line wrong way on the drum

I run an 8274 with marlow rope on the front of my 80 inch hybrid and found the easiest way to pay out rope is to power it out with my winch bitch coiling it up on the floor next to the car....have you ever tried running up a hill with it in your hand at 8274 speed..you will only get it wrapped the wrong way around the drum . We always pay out too much rope as it only takes seconds for the winch to take up the slack once hooked to your anchor point. I dont understand why people drill and r clip the freespool knob as I am told that is the winches inbuilt overload protection. Was winching a fully loaded 110 up a very steep bank in last weekends Scorpion Novice Challenge final and the frespool popped out twice and the winch did not let go just pushed it back in and carried on