Grizzly Claws

McS

Thinking about getting some Grizzly's for the tomcat to play on - some road mileage to local events but a huge bias towards mud plugging - they seem to be good in the sticky stuff and cheap...

What's your thoughts on them? Should I spend the extra on BFG MT's (cant justify Simex's at the mo) of look to something else...?

All feedback appreciated.

Regards,

Ross

I had a set for quite a while, now with Nigel T....

235 85 x16s. agree with Jon above..........

Noisey on road (all off road tyres are really aren't they ?",

Kin everso strong 12 ply wall casings !!, damned fine off road,

had a softish compound, so some of the thread had small bites out of them...

but all in all for the money and the performance off road they are Damned hard to beat for the Money.............

Nige

I've got a set in 285/75R16, TroddenMasses is on 235/85s. I've previously had Dirt Devils and General SAGs.

Road: Good manners, quite predictable in the wet and grip's not too bad. Hellishly noisy, noisiest tyre I've had, and they wear fast on the road - you can almost feel the blocks deforming and smearing under braking.

Offroad: Straight-line mud traction is impressive, mine are a bit big for rock-crawling (in terms of the gear ratio) but the tyre performs well. Sideslopes get a bit exciting because the lateral grip is poor compared to a SAG. They don't dig well (mine are too wide for that really) but for flotation the width works well. The pattern doesn't self-clean but diamonds are well proven in the gloop. The shoulders bite well and climb out of ruts but I've found they tramline along ridges & marks badly in slimy conditions; that might be the same for any tyre in the same place though.

Oh, and this weekend, Trodden and I both drove straight up a slope that DarthDicky et al had to winch up. Darth's on BFGs, I'm on cloud 9 :)

Oh, and this weekend, Trodden and I both drove straight up a slope that DarthDicky et al had to winch up. Darth's on BFGs, I'm on cloud 9 :)

Do not think so John , slight correction there :D

IMG_5228.jpg

Have used both the Grizzly's and BFG's,, not contest, even if the Grizzly's were a quarter of the price

Tim - is that the climb with 3 punches at the bottom, that kept getting steeper as you drove up it? I seem to remember you're on Simex too? :P

Think so,, but there were 4 punches, recon you missed one of the 2 that was on the left hand side as you look down,,

Was just making comment to your ref "DarthDicky et al had to winch up" we all did not winch up, :)

Yep, I will shortly be on my third set of grizzlys ……… you get about 20K on the road, but I tend to change them when the tread gets low as opposed to bald :rolleyes: ………. So you could probably get about 25K.

On road they are very predictable (especially for an aggressive tyre), however, they are also predictably very noisy :lol::lol: .

Bewarned …. they can be very difficult and troublesome to balance properly :angry: .

Very, very good off road performance and seem to have extremely tough side walls. The only time I have ever wrecked one was at Burnworthy when I put a tree root through the wall.

Tim : Having used BFG’s quite extensively, I find the Grizzly’s are better, probably because they are a much, much softer compound. I used to wreck the side walls of BFG’s very easily …. [old git mode on] They just don’t make em like they used to [old git mode off]. However, I would concur that mile for mile BFG’s probably represent better value for money, but off road there is no contest ;) .

Ian

Right, so some fairly mixed experiences with them then.... :blink: as is only to be expected I suppose!

Just to add something else to the mixing pot, would anyone care to recommend any other options? As I said, I cant justify Simex's at the moment, and I dont like Goodyears (especially G90's!! :angry: ) - so, BFG MT's are still in contention... what about Pirelli Scorpion Mud's? Or the amazon/macho?

Thoughts please,

Ross

Fedima Extremes/Amazons/Machos/etc are excellent tyres IMHO. Off road only the likes of Grizzly's or Simex can compare with them, BFG's don't even come close. And the bonus is they also handle better on the road than they should do considering their off road performance. If only you could get them in big, 33"+ sizes.

I'm with Mark90 on the Amazon / macho front.

The biggest I've seen is 33 x 12.50 x 15 see HERE.

(no relation to seller etc. etc.)

Oh, edited to add, I got five 235 x 85 x 16 fitted and balanced for under £250........ at that price they are very hard to beat!

Edited by bishbosh

For those of us on a budget - Grizzely Claws - they are great (IMHO), Ive just upgraded from Bronco Dirt Devils (both tpes being 235 x 85 x 16) and I honestly think that the traction off road has improved 25%, certainly in the sticky stuff.

Currently being investigated by trading standards ,after I had problems with Grizzles ,..........try and order a set ?

Currently being investigated by trading standards ,after I had problems with Grizzles ,..........try and order a set ?

Pray tell us more :unsure:

I know a wheen of folk via SWAT and Ian Hamilton's Agryll Forest bashes who use GCs and almost all of them swear by them. A very small number have had problems with lugs breaking off on the road -- but other than that they seem to be well thought off.

Was planning to replace our Colway MTs with a set of GCs early next year.

Pray tell us more :unsure:

I know a wheen of folk via SWAT and Ian Hamilton's Agryll Forest bashes who use GCs and almost all of them swear by them. A very small number have had problems with lugs breaking off on the road -- but other than that they seem to be well thought off.

Was planning to replace our Colway MTs with a set of GCs early next year.

These tyres dont conform to regs ece108...........

Thanks -- interesting. For the uninitiated like me Google found the following:

http://www.retreaders.org.uk/eceregs.htm

and

http://www.retreaders.org.uk/report3.htm

Do you know which particular aspect(s) of ECE108 GCs are non-compliant with?

Several, ..so cant be more exact ,there is an ongoing investigation in to these tyres ,Iwill tell all when things are complete.( win or lose)