Wheels and tyres for standard RRC

Orange

Mornin all!!

Just registered and just getting in to the whole Range Rover ownership thing!!

I've bought a 1987 3.5 V8 Manual EFi (lots of sucking through teeth!!), with a friend, which is standard in every way apart from some bits of the interior that are and have fallen off!! I've been to a play-day at Woodlands in Kent and found it to be an increadibly capable vehicle even though it's fitted with AT tyres at the moment.

It will be primarily used as an off-road toy so I'm looking to make the first improvement which is wheels and tyres! Been looking around for a few days and have found an offer from the 4x4 Store Exeter which seems to be fairly reasonable for a set of 235/85 R16 Colways with 8-spoke Steel rims! Just want some opinions on :-

1) whether the Colway MTs are any good??

2) whether they will fit on without a suspension lift or any major modifications to the arches etc??

3) whether they will look silly once we've lifted it?? :unsure:

Any help will be greatly received!!

Also, if anyone has a set of wheels and Mud tyres available for sensible money, give me a shout!!

Hi Orange :D

235/85 will fit if they are on standard offset rims and you have a bit of a lift, otherwise you'll be trimming your arches a bit. 8spokes and modulars don't have a standard offset.

If you want a mud tyre, 235/75 is about the max without any other mods.

I have a set of macho's 235/75 on white 8 spokes at home... PM me if you're interested... I'm in Southampton, but the other halfs parents live in Maidstone, so next time we're up that way could meet up if you want 'em :)

Dan

Edited by v8bertha

I have Colway C Trax MT 235/85x16 on Shed with a Pro-Comp 2" lift and they are brilliant. Yesterday it was ploughing through sloppy old gloop that had others stuck and I could drive rutted sections that previously had me bottomed out. Bluddy good value I reckon.

They do crowd the inner arches a bit and I'm sure they touched the outers a couple of times too, they are close but not trimmed at all..

shed4.jpg

shed1.jpg

If you go for 235 x 85 then the comments about rim off set are important if you don't have a lift.

I have a 2" lift and 235 x 85 Greenway Machos and they fouled the front of the rear arch on articulation. Being a remould however they did come up a bit bigger than spec - nearly 33" instead of the theoretical 31.7".

All I did was crimp the return edge of the arch flat to stop it taking lumps out of the tread. :o

If its your off road toy, I'd look at greenway machos. Much better than the MT and fine on the road as long as you're not related to Nigel Mansell!

To sum up - no lift max tyre 225 x 75 or 235 x 70.

2" lift max 235 x 85 with (or maybe without if you're lucky) minor wheel arch mods.

Be aware that sticking to standard rims will minimise bodywork mods, but will also greatly reduce steering lock with a 235 x 85. Eight spokes or modulars with a greater offset solve the steering lock problem but may cause bodywork issues. The choice is yours as they say!

Here's mine on 235 x 85:

Bobtail.jpg

Would that be a Bobtail pickup??? :D

coat on, running for the door...

Mark

:lol: Can sort that out too.... 20 mins to cut the roof off, and half hour to cut the rear tub and chassis... no problem! ;)

But then I'd have to leave you to put it back together again! Took me months :huh:

:lol: Can sort that out too.... 20 mins to cut the roof off, and half hour to cut the rear tub and chassis... no problem! ;)

But then I'd have to leave you to put it back together again! Took me months :huh:

Don't I know it! As you say, cutting it's the easy bit but trying to get a half decent finish is a nightmare.

Would do it again, and might too as i have a suitable donor 4 dr which will look far better proportionally.

Edited by DEANO3528

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Bobtail!!!!!

Soon....................not yet!!

Once you've all worked out how to do it properly I might let you loose on mine!!! :P

yeah, gotta do mine again :rolleyes: cos despite everyone on hear telling me to do 16inches, I only did 12.... so join the queue!

I have to agree with both of the last 2 comments!! I'd love a bob, but it won't happen for a while!!

Believe me, it's rather capable as is (mostly worn ATs and saggy old standard springs!!), but we will get a big jump in performance just by putting MTs and a 1" lift on it!! At least the headlights will aim at the road on the way home anyway - that's always a bonus!! :o

Ahhhhh, were you feeling all out classed by a poor little leafer at slindon then? :P Leaf springs, half as many cylinders and some over enthusiastic numpty at the wheel (me) and I still got some punches on the winch challenge that you couldn't get to! :lol:

sometimes small is beutifull! (so why am I selling it? :unsure: )

Mark

Ahhhhh, were you feeling all out classed by a poor little leafer at slindon then? :P Leaf springs, half as many cylinders and some over enthusiastic numpty at the wheel (me) and I still got some punches on the winch challenge that you couldn't get to! :lol:

sometimes small is beutifull! (so why am I selling it? :unsure: )

Mark

Just you wait!!! :angry: When we've got some respectable mud tyres, we'll have another go at that punch and see how we get on!!

At least I only cracked a lens!! :D:P:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...