Fridge

Bluemoon

would a 500w invertor(durite) power a 70w fridge, (approx size 600x500x500, mini compressor fitted , out of adsa), and if so how many amps would it use from a leisure battery, or would it have to be connected to running engine to work :blink:

You need to see what's the 'continuos' rating of your inverter.

500w inverter running a 70w fridge in the car would draw 42 amps. Yes the engine would have to be running to allow the fridge to get cool. It would flatten quite quickly when drawing 42amps.

Most important is to check the continuos rated of the inverter.....the figure of 500w usually applies to maximum output on short bursts.

S.

You need to see what's the 'continuos' rating of your inverter.

500w inverter running a 70w fridge in the car would draw 42 amps. Yes the engine would have to be running to allow the fridge to get cool. It would flatten quite quickly when drawing 42amps.

S.

I make it 7.3A - allowing for an 80% efficiency of the inverter. And of course the fridge compressor won't be running 100% of the time. Sometimes inverters don't like running motors...but the new ones may be better.

Domestic compressors not liking vibration is a new one on me though...

The motor may well take a kick to start up although a 500W continuously rated inverter should be OK with a 70W fridge.

It's feasible that a domestic fridge wouldn't enjoy bumps as the motors are mounted on springs inside the compressor body for noise reduction so the whole thing bounces round if you jiggle them, if you shake a fridge you can hear the motor hitting the walls of the compressor body. Also most of them state in the instructions you should leave the thing to settle for an hour after moving it before running it.

I have a 12V Land Rover fridge (made by Wabco) and that runs a compressor but is obviously designed to run in a vehicle.

ISTR that motors do not much like running on cheap (square wave) invertors.

I think that the thing about letting the fridge settle is more to do with moving it on it's side, on a trolley etc. than simply changing location. ...of course, I guess this comes under the heading of 'personal care' for you FF. :)

Chris