Puma fuel filter

Here's a challenge for all you Defender 07MY owners. Especially the ones planning to go around Africa or something.

Invent some way of changing a Defender Puma fuel filter which does NOT require a dealer special tool to prime the fuel system (no I am not joking)

I think they call it progress....!

Guessing they don't plan to sell all that many to 3rd world expeditionary types...

FFS and if that wasn't bad enough:

"LOW FUEL INDICATION AND RUN DRY STRATEGY

The run-dry strategy is used to maintain the systems fuel prime at fuel run out. It ensures the minimum amount of fuel is always left in the swirl pot.

The instrument cluster activates the yellow low fuel warning light, (next to the fuel gauge) with 15% of fuel remaining in the tank. The fuel gauge will indicate empty with 11% of fuel left in the tank.

With 4 liters left in the tank the run-dry strategy will be invoked. An engine mis-fire will be induced for approximately 1 mile after which the engine will be shut down. The engine can be re-started in mis-fire mode and will continue to run for a further mile until the engine shuts down again. This can be repeated until the fuel suction port in the tank is uncovered and causes engine fuel starvation and loss of prime. Re-starts after run-dry shut down are not recommended. "

I love my Tdi :)

right, here goes.

has your new truck got an inertia fuel switch off switch? if so then the fuel filter housing has a self priming electric pump in the head, if not then invest in a universal primer bulb (vectra's have them, as do some older pug's) and put that into the supply line, problem solved.

Yeah the "special tool" is basically a primer bulb with the correct fittings on it which goes in the fuel line and you use it to pump the fuel up to the engine, though what then happens when you disconnect it I don't know - maybe there is a non return valve on the line.

I can say for sure that it doesn't self-prime, because I heard the swearing...

It isn't my truck (thankfully), more of a general comment on the wisdom of the engineering which makes an in-the-field filter change impossible. Definitely an idea from the school of thought that devised electric handbrakes :rolleyes:

An engine mis-fire will be induced for approximately 1 mile after which the engine will be shut down. The engine can be re-started in mis-fire mode and will continue to run for a further mile until the engine shuts down again

Good Grief.

So, DFFs have finally caught up with V8s then ?....

I have managed the above for F Months with the 80s EFI Lucarse system on my Eales

Nige :blink:

So, DDFs have finally caught up with V8s then ?....

I have managed the above for F Months with the 80s EFI Lucarse system on my Eales

:lol:

Yeah but the diseasel obviously needs some development as yours used to misfire all the time :ph34r: