HELP!!!

Francis

Well. Took my 1992 J reg Discovery out beginning of Jan. Overheated the engine. Replaced radiator yesterday. But took to garage today, and he says definitely the head gasket gone. So, living in Crawley, where can I get this thing back on the road, for a reasonable cost (I know most of the cost in repairing it is labour, found out that skimming the engine head is only about 30 quid)...

OR would anyone on the forum be interested in buying from me. It runs, I drove it today for a short run, maybe 10 or so miles in total. It gets hot of course. But still has loads of power, and I am needelss to say, gutted. I know it will need a new rear tray, and rear body cross member too, but it is MOT'd until June or July this year, can't remember which.

My number is 07805 719274 if anyone wants to make an offer. Send me a text. I am going to get another 110, so if anyone wants to do a part swap, I'd be interested. As long as it's mot'd and I can use immediately. Petrol or Diesel, whatever.

Thanks guys and girls.

Francis, I feel for you - my head gasket went last weekend. Luckily I have a spare engine.... less luckily it also has a blown head gasket....

Replacing it isn't that bigger a challenge if you wanted to tackle it yourself, although obviously if the head needs skimming you will need to get it done... Could I ask who you were looking to get it done by?

Parts and the skim will cost you about £50 if you do it yourself. All the technical info you need is available on this website.

I might add that a vehicle with a mechanical fault such as the head gasket will reduce the selling value of it by a damned-sight more.

Les.

I have no idea who to get it skimmed by. I have fitted my own new radiator, and I am mechanically minded, got me own tools to prove it! :)

Can you suggest who I might get it skimmed by? I would prefer to have it done locally, and I guess I need to do some research. I sure don't want to be screwed over double (I am certain this issue has been since I was sold the vehicle, and with hindsight, they definitely ripped me off as the heat sensor was broken off, and it has always had a pressure issue in the radiator).

Anyway. I would prefer to sell it and get even half my money back and just go on and buy something else at this point as I am more interested in driving than beinga motor mechanic! BUT I have seen the price of gasket set is about 50 quid on ebay. I don't know. I am still on the side of sell, move on, cut losses, etc.

Anyone wanna swap for a 1987 fiat panda 4x4? :) :) :)

Phone any engineering company and just ask if they 'skim heads' They will know what you are talking about even if they don't do it and will probably be able to tell you who does it.

The price you are getting off of E-blag is probably for a head gasket set - in reality you will most likely only need a head gasket and inlet/exhaust gasket to have it up and running again.

Les.

A quick search on Yell.com brought up this lot:-

Southern Rebore Services

Unit 44, Rowfant Business Centre,

Wallage Lane,

Rowfant,

Crawley,

West Sussex

RH10 4NQ

Tel: 01342 713634

I absolutely nothing about them but they provide the services you are looking for.

Pete.

If it has overheated you should get the head pressure tested before spending money on skimming. We throw lots of Tdi heads away.

Thanks for all the help so far.

How do I get the head pressure tested? Is is worth just getting another used or replacement head? What is the best thing to do in this situation?

If your Tdi head has been overheated you can often save yourself the bother of having it crack tested by using the Mk 1 eyeball. The heads crack between the valve seats or around the valve seats. Any crack here is tickets. Small cracks around the glow plug holes can be ignored. If you can't see a crack then get the head tested.

TD5 heads seem to crack inside the ports where the crack or porosity cannot be seen, especially on no 1 cylinder for some strange reason. They also go porous where the diesel goes through the head, so it has to be tested for coolant leaks, air leaks and diesel leaks. I am told that some leaks can be fixed by welding.

A quick search on Yell.com brought up this lot:-

Southern Rebore Services

Unit 44, Rowfant Business Centre,

Wallage Lane,

Rowfant,

Crawley,

West Sussex

RH10 4NQ

Tel: 01342 713634

I absolutely nothing about them but they provide the services you are looking for.

Pete.

i have used southern rebores in the past and they have always been very good they also do crack testing or they did last time i used them, there is also a company called QEP in burgess hill that do the same