Water pump bearing

So - twice now I've replaced the water pump because the pulley bearing's squealing has become embarrasing, big tough landrover - crying along like a little baby. The new pumps are blissfully quiet for about 20 miles then sure enough that familiar whine returns to slowly send me psycho. I am using the correct coolant and the level is correct. It is definitely the water pump bearing that is squealing and not either the serpentine belt (which I have replaced just to be sure) or the auto belt tensioner which is silent. If I remove the belt and spin the pulleys they all seem to turn freely. I notice that as the engine is running and the belt running around the pulleys; the automatic tensioner arm bounces up and down slightly, could this indicate one of the other pulley bearings MUST be worn? Any advice welcomed - I'm beginning to hear that darned bearing squeal in my dreams. Thanks...

Some bearings don't make a noise unless they are under tension from the belt. If you lightly touch the centre of the pulley wheel with your finger while the engine is running - you may be able to feel the squeal as well as hear it.

What make of water pump have you got fitted?

Les.

So - twice now I've replaced the water pump because the pulley bearing's squealing has become embarrasing, big tough landrover - crying along like a little baby. The new pumps are blissfully quiet for about 20 miles then sure enough that familiar whine returns to slowly send me psycho. I am using the correct coolant and the level is correct. It is definitely the water pump bearing that is squealing and not either the serpentine belt (which I have replaced just to be sure) or the auto belt tensioner which is silent. If I remove the belt and spin the pulleys they all seem to turn freely. I notice that as the engine is running and the belt running around the pulleys; the automatic tensioner arm bounces up and down slightly, could this indicate one of the other pulley bearings MUST be worn? Any advice welcomed - I'm beginning to hear that darned bearing squeal in my dreams. Thanks...

We are talking 300Tdi here aren't we?

Had the same problem, changed pump, still did it, bu%%er!

A new tensioner fixed it - the new one wobbles about a bit at idle but smooths out once over 1000rpm

Some bearings don't make a noise unless they are under tension from the belt. If you lightly touch the centre of the pulley wheel with your finger while the engine is running - you may be able to feel the squeal as well as hear it.

What make of water pump have you got fitted?

Les.

Hi Les,

Indeed I can 'feel-the-squeal'! - on the water pump bearing only. I fitted a genuine LR part, when I returned the first squealing little piggy (presuming it to have a faulty bearing) the LR man looked bemused and said they never come back faulty... it's more likely something else... now it's replacement squeals too I'm thinking he's right, or else I'm Mr Unlucky to get two faulty ones in a row.

Oli

We are talking 300Tdi here aren't we?

Had the same problem, changed pump, still did it, bu%%er!

A new tensioner fixed it - the new one wobbles about a bit at idle but smooths out once over 1000rpm

Hi, thanks for this. Yes - 300tdi. I was beginning to think in that 'new tensioner' direction, although hesitating to replace it because it seems ok, also getting a new water pump every time is going to get expensive. What made you change yours - was it showing any signs of fault or was it just a hunch?

Hi, thanks for this. Yes - 300tdi. I was beginning to think in that 'new tensioner' direction, although hesitating to replace it because it seems ok, also getting a new water pump every time is going to get expensive. What made you change yours - was it showing any signs of fault or was it just a hunch?

desperation!, changed the bearing in the old one, but it still did it...