Some days are just a bummer......

Had all the lights replaced yesterday at an auto-electricians in Manchester. Eight new side/stop/indicators and the earthing fault on the new halogen lamps fixed. Also had the 'auxiliary' heater wired to the ignition.

Picked up the bus and headed for home. Less than 2 miles later, the battery warning light comes on. A glance at the ammeter shows it's off the scale (not just in the read for overcharging, completely through the red and off the scale!!).

Limped home, and a check with the volt meter shows that the alternator is delivering 14.5 volts at idle, and delivering 18.8 under load. The alternator was freeking red hot too.

I rang the sparks at 8.30 am and trundled the truck back into Manchester (only 7 1/2 miles), with the ammeter off the scale for the duration. New alternator duly fixed, GT's pockets lightened by another 75 quid, and was home for 10:15.

At least everything is working now! :rolleyes:

Whole alternator replaced. The spark told me the voltage was not adjustable. 1989 V8 110. Afraid I'm not in a technically knowledgeable enough position to argue with him. :angry:

There's a solution to that - DIY! You may make the odd mistake along the way but the experience and sharp learning curve will hold you in good stead in the future.

Whole alternator replaced. The spark told me the voltage was not adjustable. 1989 V8 110. Afraid I'm not in a technically knowledgeable enough position to argue with him. :angry:

If the alternator is not charging the fault can be within the alternator internals or the regulator.

If the alternator is overcharing the fault is almost ALWAYS confined to the regulator.

On all the alternators I have seed fitted to landrovers the regulator is quite simple to change. On modern type alternators the regulator and the brushes are supplied as one unit. This simplifies the process fitting a new regulator further.

If the alternator is an old Lucas item, the regulator might be of the older type with a number of wires connecting to other terminals on the alternator back cover. These can also be changed quite simple, just make some kind of note to where the different wires connect.