Alternatives to birmabright panels ?

landrover598

Road signs are ally of varying thickness!

No I don't suggest nicking them but I have seen them in Scrap?

IIRC a mate made is racer out of some (not the whole thing but some of it) :P

Roadsigns are usually 3mm... which is actually quite a thick chunk of metal for panels, especially if weight is an issue.

The reflective coating is also an absolute swine to remove - Nitromors doesn't touch it, flames create a lot of smoke as its like burning plastic, scraping doesn't touch it.... etc etc

Good for floors and tubs, bit heavy for the rest? of course it is up to you. ;)

Allegedly :P

I'd need a lot of road signs to do

front bulkhead

footwells

tunnel

floors

Rear bulkhead

roof

front wings

wing tops

door pannels

rear wings

tray back top

:o

I think i'll use 20 gauge galv steel for the bulkead/footwells and roof for strength and protection, but still got the rest to do. Is ally sheet going to be too soft ? anyone know the price of a few sheets ?

I 'found' some 3mm ali sheet, that used to be a construction hoarding sign, in a skip. It was 4 8'x4' sheets with sticky back plastic on one side. The plastic was easy to remove, with a little heat on the back side of the sheet it pealed away easily. I used direct sunlight on some sheets and then a hot air gun when the sun retired for the night.

If you know of any construction sites that are coming to a close you might be able to 'acquire' some that way.

I'd need a lot of road signs to do

front bulkhead

footwells

tunnel

floors

Rear bulkhead

roof

front wings

wing tops

door pannels

rear wings

tray back top

:o

I think i'll use 20 gauge galv steel for the bulkead/footwells and roof for strength and protection, but still got the rest to do. Is ally sheet going to be too soft ? anyone know the price of a few sheets ?

loads of huge signs on your end of the M4 :unsure::lol:

I used some polycarb on MogLite.

I wanted some clear panels, that were double curvature.

A bit of heat sorted out the curvature.

I think it was about 2mm. I bought a load of 3'x3' sheets from ebay. Its pretty easy to work with, although double curvature needs patience.

I used 6mm polypropylene sheet, light weight, very flexible, hard to dent, available in black white and natural (beige) from my supplier, other colours may be available.

You should use metal for the bulkhead between you and the engine bay, personally I would use 18g galvanised sheet for cost reasons, it is a good compromise for cost versus strength and rigidity.

For roof sections I wish that I had used clear polycarbonate, several times I would have liked to see through the roof.

I bought my sheet from a local company who make plastic chemical tanks and duct work for ventilation, it cost about £30 for an 8x4 sheet as I recall.

A quick Google found Amari plastics who have a branch in Cardiff.

A picture of how I used plastic panels:-

forumx-vinyl.jpg

100_1266.jpg