Axle refurb cont.......

upnover4x4

Can anybody advise me what axles I have. I was told that they were poss td5 disco axles. I know that they are 24 splines. fitted with solid discs F&R. Both are fitted with what appears to be anti roll brackets. One diff has 08/98 stamped the other 02/04. Yet they are of the same type casting. Also the breather outlets are of a pushin fitting rather than the threaded type. Will try to post pic asap

Thanks Adrian

if there Td5 Disc axles the wheel stud pitch [stud centre to stud centre] is different from the normal rover type 90 axles.

front axle should have serial number starting 92L *****A & rear axle 52S*****A stamped on the longest tube, with the serial number the facing centre of the vehicle

If they are Td5 disco Axles they will have a knuckle with ball joint top and bottom and an open CV with gaiter rather than the normal LR swivel housing kingpin setup they will have a similar rear axle mounting to the front using hockey sticks and panard rod rather than the trailing arms and A frame of a defender. Also the brake calipers will be a fist type and be mounted on slides with pistons only on one side instead of the usual defender type. A Td5 defender will have very similar axles to an earlier Defender but have push in breathers and a single staked hub/wheel bearing nut rather than the two separate nuts with a lock washer between as the earlier models

Apologies for my short sightedness, they are defender stub pattern which I overlooked so assume them to be td5 defender axles. I assume LR done an anti roll version? How good are the push in breather fittings? Is it worth me tapping the holes to take threaded unions whilst being refurbed?

Thanks All

Apologies for my short sightedness, they are defender stub pattern which I overlooked so assume them to be td5 defender axles. I assume LR done an anti roll version? How good are the push in breather fittings? Is it worth me tapping the holes to take threaded unions whilst being refurbed?

Thanks All

Stick with what you have but they will need cleaning and if you remove the tube make sure when you replace the tube nice and clean before pushing-in. Once pushed-in just pull back on the tube to ensure the fitting has gripped the tube.

Thanks All

Some 300TDi & maybe late 200Tdi Defenders had anti-roll bars both ends, if it's a Td5 rear axle it changed from a Salisbury to a beefed up Rover type during the Td5's run.