OT - Booting from USB CDROM drive

Roman

A request for help addressed to IT pros :

I have an IBM Thinkpad 240X notebook that lost the hard drive. I got a new 12GB drive and tried to reinstall the system on it but:

- the CDROM I have is connected to the USB port

- the reinstallation routine does not recognize it and insists that I use a PCMCIA ported drive

I've tried various versions of DUSE.exe and follwed hints from www.bootdisk.com but can't make the PC recognize the CDROM drive under DOS.

Where can I get the right drivers and what's the correct procedure?

Thanks.

If it needs a driver then you won't be able to boot direct from it anyway, otherwise where would the driver come from?

Also check the boot sequence in the BIOS, it goes through a list of drives in order trying to boot from each, so for example if your USB drive isn't on the list, or is after another bootable drive, it'll never get booted.

Scuse me if all this is blatantly obvious... :rolleyes:

Sorry, the title is a bit misleeding. Actually the PC is supposed to boot from a floppy, load the drivers (like DUSE.exe) allowing the CDROM to be recognised and then carry on reinstallation from the CDROM. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, the title is a bit misleeding. Actually the PC is supposed to boot from a floppy, load the drivers (like DUSE.exe) allowing the CDROM to be recognised and then carry on reinstallation from the CDROM. Sorry for the confusion.

Dzień dobry

That is an old one, I had one and it had a recovery diskette with the drivers, have you lost it?

Not ideal perhaps but it has worked for me in the past...

Install the new HDD in another PC and use it's CD drive to install the operating system on the new HDD. Then change HDDs back again and configure the OS for the PC you will be using it in.

Good luck

Chris