17 inch tyres

BogMonster

Question on behalf of somebody else....

What is available in 17" all terrain or mud terrain tyres to suit a Discovery 3?

The original tyres are 235/70R17, I have found a Cooper Discoverer ATR which might be OK and comes (in the States at least) in that size and a few other similar sizes that would fit a D3 e.g. 255/65R17.

Has anybody put 265/70R17s on a D3 and do they fit? 18in rims have a 255/60R18 size on so a 255 section will fit, but the 265/70 will be quite a lot taller than the standard ones as well as being a bit wider.

The 18in rims have got the new Grabber AT2s available but I just wondered if there was anything good around for the 17s. Good puncture resistance is a must (so throw away anything with Goodyear on it; the tyres on there have lasted about 5000 miles....and like all Goodyears I have seen they are sh***!!)

A good hard wearing BFG AT sort of pattern would be ideal - but I haven't turned one up yet.

Thanks

Stephen

Cooper also do the ST in 17" sizes, pattern is comparable to BFG AT in terms of on/off road ness.

I can recommend the Cooper ST's. Had a set on my Discovery for 18-months now. More agressive than an AT, but not as full-on as an MT. IMHO, a natural, but little known successor to the BFG Trac-Edge.

Kev

I looked very hard at those ST's for my Discovery Kev, it's a really nice looking pattern, but they weren't available as a 255/70R16 which was the size I wanted for the D2.

Any comments on how tough the tyre carcass is on Coopers? They aren't a common brand here (apart from some STTs but people seem to have gone off those in recent years) and I've never tried a set of Coopers on anything. Really good puncture resistance on gravel roads is probably the most important thing - I know of a few people that have junked Goodyears and fitted BFGs on older Discoverys just because they got p*ssed off with getting punctures on a weekly basis!

I looked very hard at those ST's for my Discovery Kev, it's a really nice looking pattern, but they weren't available as a 255/70R16 which was the size I wanted for the D2.

Any comments on how tough the tyre carcass is on Coopers? They aren't a common brand here (apart from some STTs but people seem to have gone off those in recent years) and I've never tried a set of Coopers on anything. Really good puncture resistance on gravel roads is probably the most important thing - I know of a few people that have junked Goodyears and fitted BFGs on older Discoverys just because they got p*ssed off with getting punctures on a weekly basis!

Coopers aren't a common brand here either really, however, as Mark has pointed out, they are a hugely popular brand in Australia where they have the odd gravel road or two. Got to count for something i guess.

Cooper's new STT pattern, looks very similar the Goodyear MT/R and also has one of those magic super tough sidewalls, like they errr, Goodyear's you love so much!

Kev

Interesting point about Oz... prob very true! I have sent off to my suppliers for prices anyway - I hope they are available in the UK.

To be fair I have no experience of the MTRs. The G90 is one of the toughest tyres I have ever seen (G90s are just horrible in every other respect....) but the "normal" Goodyears as fitted to Discoverys, Freelanders etc - Wranglers, Eagles and things like that are junk compared to the Michelin or Pirelli OEM fitments which are much better.

I don't know about Goodyear sidewalls, anything bigger than a matchstick goes straight through the tread on a Wrangler so the sidewalls never get to be a problem :P

Interesting point about Oz... prob very true! I have sent off to my suppliers for prices anyway - I hope they are available in the UK.

To be fair I have no experience of the MTRs. The G90 is one of the toughest tyres I have ever seen (G90s are just horrible in every other respect....) but the "normal" Goodyears as fitted to Discoverys, Freelanders etc - Wranglers, Eagles and things like that are junk compared to the Michelin or Pirelli OEM fitments which are much better.

I don't know about Goodyear sidewalls, anything bigger than a matchstick goes straight through the tread on a Wrangler so the sidewalls never get to be a problem :P

Coopers are an American brand. One of the few remaining genuine US tyre brands. UK importers are Sinton Tyres Certainly cheaper than BFG or G'Year.

Stephen, Have a look here too S/Ts again They do the size you want but not in the LT series, only in the SUV range so may not be as tough. I've seen these worn on a truck in New Zealand & he was delighted with them. We also have gravel roads, :D , just not as many as Australia ;)

To add to Kevins point re the S/T being a natural successor to the Trac Edge, the S/Ts replaced a tyre in the Cooper range called the CTD which was virtually a clone of the Trac Edge so no surprises there.

Cheers, Steve.

Progress :)

Sinton Tyres stock the new STT pattern in the 245/70R17 which will fit a Discovery 3 with 17in rims

They seem to get a good write up too, from the Aussies:

here, here, and here

Nothing for the 18in D3 rims though - I think a 35x12.50R18 might require some bodywork mods :blink: I think even the 275/65R18 would be too big