Intermittent starting problem

OldProgie

I've been having an intermittent problem starting my '92 200TDi Disco for a little while.

It behaves as though the battery is flat and won't turn over the engine. Taking the key out then trying again will often fix the problem. Most times this will be from a cold start, but it will sometimes start fine in the morning, then fail to start after a short journey. Now, the preheat light sometimes fails to come on.

I've checked the battery, the alternator and the starter motor and they all seem fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?

how did you check the battery?

sounds like the battery isnt holding charge and may be duff, it will take a long time to fully charge the battery just driving the car several hours.

if you are only doing short journeys this will not charge it up.

this would be worse on cold days as you suggest.

try having the battery tested at kwik fit or a local place that sells batteries, halfords etc. before buying a new one.

alex

try having the battery tested at kwik fit or a local place that sells batteries, halfords etc. before buying a new one

better still, go to a bona fide auto electrician, kwak fit or halfrauds will possibly sell you the incorrect bettery, as well as tyres, shocks, brakes, wipers and exhaust...... :)

I have had the same problem. Checked battery which seemed supect but OK. Found that it would start if I locked and unlocked vehicle with buttons.

To check if the diesel pump solenoid was on I connected a wire to it and earth so that if it did not light it was an immobiliser fault, which turned out to be the case.

As the spider , by general opinion, seemed to be most likely I substituted ti with a jumper( sold by Land Rover) To do this there is an excellent article in the Tech Archive by Bog Monster with pictures. Thank you Bog Monster-- Briliant.

Regrettably whilst this fix has stopped the fuel pump being de energised on start, intermittenly no starter and small icon of car in dash. Bsck to lock and unlock. Back to square one.

On putting the clock back it seems the disturbance has open ciruited the bulb. Does any one know where to get one as it seems to obsolete from my local dealer

Hope this may help

Dave

how did you check the battery?

sounds like the battery isnt holding charge and may be duff, it will take a long time to fully charge the battery just driving the car several hours.

if you are only doing short journeys this will not charge it up.

this would be worse on cold days as you suggest.

try having the battery tested at kwik fit or a local place that sells batteries, halfords etc. before buying a new one.

alex

I've checked the battery with an automotive multi-meter and it's been showing plenty of power. I've also taken the battery off and charged it overnight a couple of times. I also had a local (non-franchised) land rover dealer check it

Odd thing is that the last couple of days it's been as good as gold, so I have not been able to try and track the problem down any further. Seems to mostly happen when -

a. I need to be somewhere

b. I'm away from home with no means of starting it easily and no tools.

At least it bump starts really easily.

(I miss my lightweight with it's starting handle though)