Tack welding ali with MIG

MogLite

I've got a SIP 175A MIG welder.

I need to build a transmission tunnel for MogLite, I'd like to do this from 6mm ali, as I have some, and need it to be strong enough to mount handbrakes and auto shifters etc.

The shape will be quite complex, so I'd like to tack it together in situ, before handing it over to an adult for proper tig'ing.

With the welder turned up, a reel of ali welding wire, and argoshield gas, will I be able to spot it together ?

I'm okay on steel welding, but I've never tried ali welding before.

I've got a SIP 175A MIG welder.

I need to build a transmission tunnel for MogLite, I'd like to do this from 6mm ali, as I have some, and need it to be strong enough to mount handbrakes and auto shifters etc.

The shape will be quite complex, so I'd like to tack it together in situ, before handing it over to an adult for proper tig'ing.

With the welder turned up, a reel of ali welding wire, and argoshield gas, will I be able to spot it together ?

I'm okay on steel welding, but I've never tried ali welding before.

I found welding ali with a mig pretty hard. I think at least in part this was due to the mig being DC and using argoshield. AC with Argon is apparently a lot better.

It was very temperature critical. There was a threshold themperature where the surface tension pulled the weld pool into the gap. outside this, it just formed a bead on the surface. Trial & error! Even at the right temperature, the welds were less than good.

I would suggest using some of the ali-weld stuff to tack it together. It's a whole lot easier and plenty strong enough for this. It will probably work out cheaper too.

Out of interest, 6mm thick? Are you intending it to be bullet proof? Even if you've got loads of it, I think you are just making life hard for yourself. Make the handbrake mountings out of thick material but derrive the strength in the rest of it from it's shape.

Si

I would suggest using some of the ali-weld stuff to tack it together. It's a whole lot easier and plenty strong enough for this. It will probably work out cheaper too.

that's another option - but you need a pretty big torch to heat up 6 mm sheets to the right temperature.

Andy,

Real nightmare this.

I have triwed in the past Ali wire (think 1mm from memory) in the 230 SIP MIG and pure argon.

The problem is that the ali wire being very soft jams in the torch liner for a pasttime....I was forever cleaning out jams.......

the problem was a combination of both wire tension too much jams, too little it don't F move !.

As a result I found doing what you thiught "tacking" was just a nightmare, the on / off action and the long torch lead was just dreadfull.

However,

have seen spool guns...these are where the wire is held on the top of the torch, rather than 4 miles away inside the F welder with the long lead to the gun, I have never tried these but have heard good things..

Dollythelw showed me some, nice units, don't know if he has any more ?...if so buty one and then tell me if they are as good as he / I think they might be... :lol:

TIG - too expensive to buy for tacking, and on single phase, almost a waste of time, let alone a skill in itself to learn....

Sorry may not be too much help but here you go

Nige

Andy,

Real nightmare this.

I have triwed in the past Ali wire (think 1mm from memory) in the 230 SIP MIG and pure argon.

The problem is that the ali wire being very soft jams in the torch liner for a pasttime....I was forever cleaning out jams.......

the problem was a combination of both wire tension too much jams, too little it don't F move !.

As a result I found doing what you thiught "tacking" was just a nightmare, the on / off action and the long torch lead was just dreadfull.

However,

have seen spool guns...these are where the wire is held on the top of the torch, rather than 4 miles away inside the F welder with the long lead to the gun, I have never tried these but have heard good things..

Dollythelw showed me some, nice units, don't know if he has any more ?...if so buty one and then tell me if they are as good as he / I think they might be... :lol:

TIG - too expensive to buy for tacking, and on single phase, almost a waste of time, let alone a skill in itself to learn....

Sorry may not be too much help but here you go

Nige

Hi, don't write much, but andy I was the disco that had the chequer plate off you, take it from me, to TIG weld ali you need one of the big sets, you have to have a square wave voltage, a DC set and you have to have a special tungsten tip. Stick with the MIG, pure Argon and practice on scrap first to get the currant right.

Cebora 1835 TIG on single phase 160A (more than plenty), ESAB400A AC/DC Mig - or I can lend you a spool gun and you can run it off 24v B)

You need to change the liner on the MIG and run it AC but spool gun makes it a walk over

Gonna cost you more biscuits though - more weldmesh waiting for you to collect at the Jez Shed mate

I agree 6mm is a lot to ask of the kind of machines we are prepared to pay for.

You don't want to be finding out how difficult it is on something you spent hours making with great care, assumptions here :lol:

Pop rivet it and take it to a big boy, he can weld it then fill the pop rivet holes up as well.

Some great responses - as always

Seems my MIG is pretty much a non-starter :(

I can't TIG, but a spool gun might be an option.

I am thinking a steel frame, skinned in a light sheet might be a better way to go.

Shame really, being able to spot weld Ali at home would have been handy.