What makes a 200tdi smoke on start up?

winx

Its the two stage injectors, which leads to too much fuel in the cylinder when started......Tell those people to not stand beside the exhaust anyway!

H

My discovery always chucks out a little bit of smoke when it starts, apparently 'they all do that' and I must admit most that I have seen do...

So what causes it and is it a bad sign?

Thanks

Henry

Hi Henry,

Apparently its quite normal. Also, in my limited experience, if you just let the engine keep idling without revving it or driving away, it will continue to belch out smoke for a long time.

The TDi motor may be old tech but its definitely economical compared to the TD5. Interesting observation is that the fuel economy of the Discovery was best with the Disco I, got worse with the TD5 in the DII and the Disco 3's TDV6 is even thirstier.

Cheers,

Lawrance Lee

'99 DII V8 auto

Melbourne, Australia

Hi Henry,

Apparently its quite normal. Also, in my limited experience, if you just let the engine keep idling without revving it or driving away, it will continue to belch out smoke for a long time.

The TDi motor may be old tech but its definitely economical compared to the TD5. Interesting observation is that the fuel economy of the Discovery was best with the Disco I, got worse with the TD5 in the DII and the Disco 3's TDV6 is even thirstier.

Cheers,

Lawrance Lee

'99 DII V8 auto

Melbourne, Australia

Tell me about the fuel consumption! Before I bought the 200tdi I had a tdv6 and on a run it would barely crack 24mpg with the muddies on, however, with standard tyres on it would do over 30! I ended up getting rid as I didn't use it enough offroad after I got my 200, end of fuel consumption problem!