Rattley200Tdi

I've been offered a 200Tdi motor to stick into one of the fleet. Apparently it's noisy under strain which I am led to believe is the main rotor bearings, is that likely and is it a big job (more than a couple of days off the road) to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Rotor ?

Do you mean crankshaft ?

If it's bad enough to grumble then almost certainly needs a regrind so a reasonably

big job. Engine out and a fair stripdown to get the crank out. If the cranks had a hard

life what will the bores and pistons be like ?

Could end up several hundred quid and a bout a week off the road.

When I got my 200 TDI. I was very impressed with the seller, couldn't do enough for me, gave me loads of bits, spares and loaded my truck up with stuff. After assuring me the cambelt hadn't long been changed.

Well being the trusting bloke I am I decided to get it chaged for my own peace of mind. At some point the front pulley had come loose and knackered the woodruff key and keyway. I bolted it back up and then got all the bits to sort. Even to the extent of a new crank. It wasn't that sad IIRC. A lot less than I thought. Give the usual suspects a call but I'm sure I got mine from Bearmach in Maidstone.

I now have the knowledge that the bottom of the engine is sound.

you can get running 200tdi disco engine for £400-£500 easily with g and t boxes, defender ones are scarce though.

If he wants the V8 offer it to him for £300 then as hes knows his engine not worth £450 etc.

Thanks for all the sound advice, one local chap did tell me since posting this that he'd heard this truck running and it was basically a diesel making the noise diesels make. Apparently the owner is used to petrol turbo's and describes any diesle as rattly. Is that likely?

Matt

it was basically a diesel making the noise diesels make.

I believe that at some point, Land Rover printed in the user manual something along the lines of :

"this engine may produce alarming noises; this is normal".

Anyone have the exact quote?