Power steering

Phil Hancock

Possibly.

Have you looked at TIConsole, the original vendors of that kit? Google for them to see.

Otherwise you could:

1. Recreate that kit (its basically some brackets and a ram/pump). All standard stuff. Very simple and probably overpriced.

2. Fit land rover power steering if you don't mind chopping your chassis a little.

3. Fit power steering from something else, requiring more imagination and time.

4. Fit an electric power assist column from a Vauxhall Corsa (DO IT!). Ask Fridgefreezer - has has columns ready to go and a little box of tricks to make it work. Good clean cheap fun.

5. Join a gym.

Al

:)

Personally I wouldn't bother, just scallop the front crossmember a little and mount a Land Rover PAS box - they're cheap, readily available, and once the mount is there it's nuts and bolts, a defender column and shaft will bolt to a Series bulkhead.

Personally I wouldn't bother, just scallop the front crossmember a little and mount a Land Rover PAS box - they're cheap, readily available, and once the mount is there it's nuts and bolts, a defender column and shaft will bolt to a Series bulkhead.

Agreed, also, if you cant get the standard hoses to fit nicely, dont comprimise, go have some made and make a nice job of it, they dont cost uber £.

LR PAS box; Saginaw box, Toyota box. All good and relatively straight forward conversions for which there are threads here or in the tech archive to get you started. You will be happy to have it!

If you fit a Toyota PAS box to the outside of the chassis rail, (there is a thread on page 7 in the ''Tools and Fabrication'' forum ), it will free up alot of space for any future modifications such as fitting the radiator and intercooler when doing a 200/300 TDI conversion without the need to rearrange the front crossmember or move it and grille panel forward Defender style.I did notch the top rearcorner of the crossmember to sit the TDI rad down lower to clear the bonnet.

However,to clear the steering box at full articulation and full left hand steering lock, wheel rims with greater positive offset .such as Forward Control rims are required.The Toyota box is very reliable, more compact and lighter than the Rover unit, and can be comfortably driven without power assistance in the event of a pump or belt failure.

Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

tractor power steering would work(dont start swearing lol)

the power steering kit is practically what is used on a tractor...you could mount it down the right of the engine to stop muk gettin into the ram and so it looks practially original if thats an issue

• 2 months later...

Has anyone got any more details on the electric PAS conversion?

I gather that it may be preferable to use a non PAS 90/110 steering column and box?

IS it possible to simply replace the steering column of a Series 3 with the Cosa electric steering column (with a bit of manipulation obviously).

I have doen a forum search but unless I'm missing something there isn't much detail anywhere.....

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have for sale one of the TIC RAM's and the fixing bracket, so not the whole kit but the hard to come by bits. The rest of the bits can all be standard LR bits.

I had it fitted to my series 2 for a short while until it failed its MOT. I used a defender power steering pump (mounted up high so it didn't foul the axle as in the original application) and standard LR reservoir. You would also need a double crankshaft pulley (may be able to help with that as well depending what engine you are using).

Steering was transformed, very light, lighter than my 90 with power steering.

PM me if interested.

Cheers

Chris