Toyota

MogLite

Lots of great feedback - excellent :)

Reads90 - I'm not going to do a Patrol. Alex my co-driver has one now, a 92 LWB high-top. Its rusty, and he's got to wait a week for the Nissan dealer to get him a new fuel filter. True their drivetrains might be stronger for comp trucks, but I'm planning on staying under 33" for the tyres - so it wont be an issue.

More tommorrow :)

i was thinking of somthing newer :P

I rember the last time i saw you in a toyota Andy

I am driving the front one and Moglite is driving the white toyota behind.

He then went and drove this one into the sea to get around the rocks on Rainbow beach. Oh well gota love hire trucks :lol:

Your lucky Andy, been looking for ages for the pic of you driving though waves , but can't find it :ph34r:

CNV00042.jpg

BTW Andy just to make you feel old this pic was taken nearly 5 years ago now :o

Slightly off topic, has anyone seen a RR classic modded and on expedition or are they just no good for something like that :huh:

mmm the engine has alot to do with it If you have a V8 one then this pic might help to show you

There are whole areas in Australia where petrol cars are totally banned and only diesel cars are allowed. These areas are about serval times the size of the UK

petrolsign.jpg

Where i am i have drove a distance like from Southampton to Glasgow with out a petrol station . Try doing that in a full loaded V8 RRC :lol: And try carry 4 jerry cans of petrol on the roof of a car in 35+ degree c , and you are asking for trouble :rolleyes:

Foxminer and Daan - you are absolutley right, a Defender is a style icon. I'm just not sure I'd be happy blasting from the south coast to Scotland in one.

GIRL :ph34r::rolleyes:

I drove round Aus in a defender (25,000 miles)

And i have to go to Cooma for the Australian Land Rover 60th , Easter weekend. That is 1400 k's there and 1400k's back (so 2800k's round trip)

To give you an idea it is 686 K's from Southampton to Glasgow.

And i will be doing that trip in the 90 , as it isthe only one of kind in Aus . So going posing :rolleyes:

Ali

An expedition vehicle is for driving a long way in safety, and none of the junk people bolt on does anything to help that. You'll find that if the extra ton of gear is stripped off, you won't need an external roll cage in the first place, you wont need the roof mounted jerry cans cos you be doing better mpg, you wont need the roof rack to put the jerrys on, and not shining out like a rich western tourist you wont need the side window grills.

Mm. Not strictly true. That depends what you *do* on your expedition. Without the roll cage, 2 spares, a fuel range of 700+ miles, extra lights we would have been royally fooked (to the extent that even the locals travel with most of the aforementioned). :rolleyes: Window grills are a must, there's more to give you away than those and they add the extra security, you should be ok in Europe but in other areas a padlock on the bonnet won't go amiss too! :ph34r:

The most important thing Andy is that you're happy with your vehicle, everything will be a compromise in one way or another so get out drive them (most important), do your research and try to figure out what you'd be happy living out of for an extended period of time :)

Land Cruiser is the biggest selling 4x4 in the middle east....they are simply amazing. But bang for buck I'd opt for the Nissan patrol. The front drive shafts of the LC are infamous for popping out on full lock and also when duning...extremely dangerous and the achellies heel of an otherwise superb all rounder.

The Nissan has the solid axles...at least untill the end of this year when we have it on good authority that Nissan will go independant at the front.

My good mate Sheik Hamad Bin Hamdan (the Rainbow Sheik) is a staunch Nissan and Rover fan...but he'll only allow his family to drive solid front axled cars. He even went as far a to buy 110 brand new LWB Nissan Patrols incase he couldn't get anymore of the solid axle models.

I hate to say it but my next 4x4 will be a Nissan Patrol LWB. I'm fed up of driving back from the desert and straight into the Rover parts dealer.

I might even be tempted go for a deisel.

An expedition vehicle is for driving a long way in safety, and none of the junk people bolt on does anything to help that. You'll find that if the extra ton of gear is stripped off, you won't need an external roll cage in the first place, you wont need the roof mounted jerry cans cos you be doing better mpg, you wont need the roof rack to put the jerrys on, and not shining out like a rich western tourist you wont need the side window grills.

Being lighter and more nimble you won't need the under body protection as much either, and probably wont need to shell out £800 on an OME suspension kit.

Sorry, while I agree with the safety bit, the rest is cobblers in terms of over-landing!

When we drove up to Alaska even the locals, some in normal everyday saloon/estate cars had 2 spare wheels strapped to the roof and extra fuel too. When you are talking about several hundred miles at a time, it doesn't matter how aerodynamic you try to make your defender/toyota/whatever, it still ain't gonna do 600miles on a single tank.

Roll cage, well that depends on the truck. Everybody knows that the top half of a defender will fold up and squish you if it ends up on its roof so IMHO its absolutely essential for a defender kitted out for expedition.

We stuck a set of OME shocks on the camel and they have been fab, nothing fancy, not extra travel or anything like that. They transformed the ride and handling. About £200 IIRC

Andy, you are welcome to come over and poke around the Camel if ya want. I would offer to bring it over, but we killed the engine at Bunny Lane over the weekend, so it ain't going nowhere for a while :unsure::( Lucky really... 26500 miles without a single breakdown, 500 miles back in the UK and the engine is now a door stop!!

Get a toyota ;):lol:

How about drive 300kms collect landcruiser on trailer due gearbox u/s and loaded with supplies, from just north of Geraldton , Western Australia transport to Mt Augustus , drop off return same route at high speed (racing against cyclone) to get onto bitumen main road before road closed. Started out at noon on day one back at home by 6 a.m on day 3 . total distance 1900kms Tow vehicle Land rover 110CSW V8 1986 never ever broke down in the bush but recovered plenty of others (various makes) that did. :i-m_so_happy:

i was thinking of somthing newer :P

I rember the last time i saw you in a toyota Andy

I am driving the front one and Moglite is driving the white toyota behind.

He then went and drove this one into the sea to get around the rocks on Rainbow beach. Oh well gota love hire trucks :lol:

Your lucky Andy, been looking for ages for the pic of you driving though waves , but can't find it :ph34r:

CNV00042.jpg

BTW Andy just to make you feel old this pic was taken nearly 5 years ago now :o

Even before I read the text I knew that was rainbow beach and the exact spot on the beach , having been there more than several times ............... I think it looks a little different now though, since you had the last storms ? ...............

As much as you promote LR's Ali ................ in the outback Toy's and Nissans out number LR's by at least 10 to 1 ...............however, a lot of that is to do with sales tax .................. LR is an import, but Toy and Nissan both have factories in Oz .............

I think over in Oz I would either have a basic Toy Troopie or an older Patrol .................... both are seriously tough and spares are more than easy to get.....

:)

Ian

Also i have a Toyota camry as a company car. It is 6 months old and i am not impressed with it. It is a petrol and gutless, and also the bulid quality is pretty carp. Also it is gone though 2 set of front brake disc in that time. So i would not buy a toyota after my experiance with the camry

Ali

My Scaffolding contracts manager was telling me that in the last 10months five of which it has been in the dealers...

I always though the Toyota Avensis were a good car....any how, the cruisers are a very well established I've had loads of guy's that worked for me that have them and don't have a bad word to say apart from the RR type economy even from the diesels..

Pikes love them......I don't know if that's a good thing or not..

I know the Toyota Surf is very popular with campers and its a much cheaper option

Andy, living with a 110 and having driven a few LC's I'd say they're both good vehicles. The LC is MUCH bigger, though, so if you're looking for size its no contest. However, I found them dull and the interior is just acres of terrible plastic. Both are very capable out of the box although the LC does feel like (and is) a much bigger car. Personally I'd go with the 110 everytime; yes its flawed but its got more character.

Eightpot, most people wouldn't want to carry fuel inside the vehicle and a roof rack is fairly essential as you'll want a roof tent on an expedition vehicle. Also, if you've ever driven cross country at night then you'll appreciate high level lights. A cage is always a sensible idea expecially in a heavy vehicle. You'd also be stupid to head anywhere and not armour the bottom of your vehicle - it doesn't weight much and could well save your vehicle. I don't think all the trialers, racers and challenge boys are idiots who just want to bolt stuff to their cars :ph34r: Fair enough you may not want to spend the sort of prices Frogs Island would charge to build an expedition car but I know them very well and the quality of they're vehicles is second to none. As for the differance in price, I'd say the defender's probably more expensive by the time you've specced up the drivetrain, added A/C, added some more comfy seats, dealt with any rot (300tdi's are getting old) and so on.

Eightpot, most people wouldn't want to carry fuel inside the vehicle and a roof rack is fairly essential as you'll want a roof tent on an expedition vehicle. Also, if you've ever driven cross country at night then you'll appreciate high level lights. A cage is always a sensible idea expecially in a heavy vehicle. You'd also be stupid to head anywhere and not armour the bottom of your vehicle - it doesn't weight much and could well save your vehicle. I don't think all the trialers, racers and challenge boys are idiots who just want to bolt stuff to their cars :ph34r: Fair enough you may not want to spend the sort of prices Frogs Island would charge to build an expedition car but I know them very well and the quality of they're vehicles is second to none. As for the differance in price, I'd say the defender's probably more expensive by the time you've specced up the drivetrain, added A/C, added some more comfy seats, dealt with any rot (300tdi's are getting old) and so on.

Tend to disagree with the high leval lights. My 90 does not have a roof as such so no chance for a roof rack :) We have a pair of lights on the bull bar . One fog and one spot. This works great and came in very usefull for kangeroo spotting :) . QWe did not ever get to a point where we felt we needed more lights

I think you lot are over thinking what you need ( after all most of you live in Europe :) )

We have a d1 300 Tdi and 90 300Tdi and they both have twin batteires with twin charge system, ARB bull bars with warn winch, OME surpenson, spot lights, Safairi Snorkles, mounting for the engel fridge , Battery leval indicators, UHF radios . 90 has long range tank (as the 90 has a small tank from factory). And the D1 has a cargo barrier (for the dogs really)

We have an ARB roof rack for the D1 , but lives in the garage roof and will only be used if we need it for extra storage (bought really cheap on Ebay and did not really need it :) ) but that would be if we don't take the trailer

We have a camper trailer which sits under the house, ready to go. Just need to fill with fresh water and food. The trailer has Land Rover hubs , and we have 2 sets of tyres for it , one set matches the 90 and the other set match the D1,

We also have a second spare wheel for both trucks

These cars are both used as daly trucks but are not loaded up to the hilt all the time. It takes about an hour (if that ) to get the truck ready for a massive trip. #

Not meaning to be a big head but After all i have a 90 soft top that has been to more remote places than some of you can even dream off. After all in the middle of aus there is no phone serivce , after all there is no Tv and even no Radio service. And it is hunders and hundreds of miles before you will find anyone never mind help. And the roads are tracks with really bad corrigations, that shake you to bits. One track of many was like driving from Southampton to John O groats on dirt track with no petrol station, and only saw one person along the whole way. . So not just tarmac driving out here ;)

Ali

Tend to disagree with the high leval lights. My 90 does not have a roof as such so no chance for a roof rack :) We have a pair of lights on the bull bar . One fog and one spot. This works great and came in very usefull for kangeroo spotting :) . QWe did not ever get to a point where we felt we needed more lights

I think you lot are over thinking what you need ( after all most of you live in Europe :) )

Ali, I've had both bumper mounted and roof mounted as well as having a car that has its main beam about 4" off the road and I've found the higher you're lights the easier it is to drive as it lights dips much better. Also, they're less likely to get covered in dirt.

There is probably quite a bit of over prep too particularly in vehicles prepared by companies - I guess when your spending that much you want to see where some of the money went :lol:

Adding a whole bunch of replies - 'cause I really appreciate the input :D

Callum - I had to change over all the ancillaries on the Isuzu lump. Exhaust manifold and turbo oil pipes are evil. I think the oil pipes are still leaking. Alternator, under the A/C compressor is 'orrible. There are some tricks. I hate the way the Isuzu engine has oil and water pipes everywhere, as opposed to castings in the block.

Paul - your Crusier looks really smart, and that seems like a really good price.

Reads90 "I drove round Aus in a defender (25,000 miles)", and didn't you tell me it wasn't as quiet and comfortable as it could have been ? then you went a bought a whole bunch of Discos ;)

Streaky - I do like the Patrols, but like Jen says, I've got to be comfortable with the vehicle, and Patrols don't float my boat alas, whereas I've always wanted a Cruiser

Dan - I'm sure gonna come and climb all over your Camel to check it out, shame I can't take it for a drive :ph34r:

Will - "acres of dull plastic" You should take a close look at my Isuzu, anything would be an improvement - trust me.

Reads90 - "I think you lot are over thinking what you need" We might not all the outback on our doorsteps, but there are plenty of adventures to be had in the Northern hemisphere. Shires members have recently found themselves in Norway, Alaska and Russia. I don't want a vehicle that will limit where I can go.

Thanks for listing the contents of your garage/driveway, when I come over next, I'll test drive it all rent a Landcruiser again :lol::lol:

What Ali forgets to mention is that Aus has a superb VHF system and an excellent emergency service! It's remote but it ain' that dodgy unless you are an idiot.

Try The Altai, Mongolia, Eastern Siberia, Western Sudan, The Rienfelt, Southern Argentinia, Some Parts of Mexico/Brazil/Bolivia/Peru etc ect

Expedition Prep is a minefield, it's continent specific, personally specific, budget specific and generally done very badly by most people including the so called professionals

How about a Disco 3? They are down to £15k so probably a more than you want to spend but cheaper than the equivalent Defender of the same age and mileage. They will not have been offroaded since they will only have been used to take the kids to school. The V6 Jag diesel is a great engine too.

If nothing breaks then much more comfortable than a Landcruiser/Defender. The styling is an acquired taste of course.

but we killed the engine at Bunny Lane over the weekend, so it ain't going nowhere for a while :unsure::( Lucky really... 26500 miles without a single breakdown, 500 miles back in the UK and the engine is now a door stop!!

Have you done it again Dan???!!!! :lol:

My 2c - I have never looked for anything else, but I have found LR spares very easy to get hold of throughout europe.

I regularly do long trips in my disco (France/Italy/Switzerland/Greece/south coast/Scotland in the last 12 months) - only trouble I have ever had was when I broke the filler bung in the top of the thermostat housing. It is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven on a long journey.

I wouldn't move away from a Landy simply because you can (nearly) always fix it with gaffer tape and string.

Air con is high on my wish list...48 degrees sat in traffic is not fun...

What Ali forgets to mention is that Aus has a superb VHF system and an excellent emergency service! It's remote but it ain' that dodgy unless you are an idiot.

Try The Altai, Mongolia, Eastern Siberia, Western Sudan, The Rienfelt, Southern Argentinia, Some Parts of Mexico/Brazil/Bolivia/Peru etc ect

Expedition Prep is a minefield, it's continent specific, personally specific, budget specific and generally done very badly by most people including the so called professionals

Honitonhobbit wrote "It's remote but it ain' that dodgy unless you are an idiot."

You are joking arn't you , what will all the snakes and spiders and other hazards and the time taken for anyone to save you. Never mind what the Abo's will do to you . It can be one of the most dangerous places on earth. I don't think you know the size and distances of Australia

aust-europe-map.jpg

HF is a good system but is about $2000 for kit so cheaper to buy a Sat phone these days, or you can carry an Erib

But if you contact someone when you are in trouble then you can contact somone who will come and help you . BUT that is like calling somone in Glasgow whn you are in Southampton. They will come but could be esaly 10 hours or a couple of days before you see anyone. As helicoters don't have the range so they send out a plane to spot you ( if they can find you ) then they can't land so they then send out chaps in a truck to you . But definately as easy as you make it sound

Ali

Reads90 "I drove round Aus in a defender (25,000 miles)", and didn't you tell me it wasn't as quiet and comfortable as it could have been ? then you went a bought a whole bunch of Discos ;)

Well i got the disco's ( first V8 and then 300 Tdi) as the misses wanted to drive the car to the train station and leave it there. But i was not happy with her doing it with the 90 as it is soft top. The disco's over here are a third of the price of a 110 of the same year, hence why we got a disco . But Sue hates the disco's and wants a defender. So instead of a D2 TD5 we will be getting a 110 TD5 some time soon. Also the D2 back door is far too small to put umm things in so that is out for a defender anyway

Reads90 - "I think you lot are over thinking what you need" We might not all the outback on our doorsteps, but there are plenty of adventures to be had in the Northern hemisphere. Shires members have recently found themselves in Norway, Alaska and Russia. I don't want a vehicle that will limit where I can go.

Thanks for listing the contents of your garage/driveway, when I come over next, I'll test drive it all rent a Landcruiser again :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: what i was trying to say was that you can have it all ready to go but not drive around a truck that is all loaded up and ready to drive across the world