Toyota

MogLite

My brother's lardcruiser (pugwash) blew me away off roading in somerset a week ago, keeping up with well tricked up 90's, but at the same time i do all that sort of stuff fully loaded for work.

Bloody H*ll, in that case you are in luck, i have a space (well 3 in fact) for this Sun 2 Mar and 1 space on the 30 Mar, why not load it up bring it up and lets see how to do it properly.

Ah good to see this thread re-surface.

I've been doing a lot of research on Cruisers, and I reckon I want one, in the same style a Paul's

I'm not too fussed about the badge on the bonnet, but for me its the right blend of practicality/size/refinement/cost.

The closest LR is the Disco 3, but I'm don't think I want to go down that route, especially as they are a lot more money.

Reads90 - thanks for the piccies - sell ice-creams, nah. Send it back to the rental place with a mullered CV - yes :o

Paul - I'll be interested to see how you get on with those 35's. I do worry if they over-gear it. Whats the handling and braking like ?

I hope to have a small dog on the front of mine too :lol:

For all, the dog had been removed, just need to pohto shop thepic aswell now!!

I've been doing a lot of research on Cruisers, and I reckon I want one, in the same style a Paul's

I'm not too fussed about the badge on the bonnet, but for me its the right blend of practicality/size/refinement/cost.

The closest LR is the Disco 3, but I'm don't think I want to go down that route, especially as they are a lot more money.

Reads90 - thanks for the piccies - sell ice-creams, nah. Send it back to the rental place with a mullered CV - yes :o

Paul - I'll be interested to see how you get on with those 35's. I do worry if they over-gear it. Whats the handling and braking like ?

The gearing seems ok. I do know 2 people who run 36/12.5/16 Simexs on 80 series and one who runs 37/13.5/16 on one. But the 37s do change it a bit. I still can get above a tonne with those tyres on. But it is a little slower getting there. As for the braking, well thats fine the ABS works fine as I found out yesterday. MPG is down a little, 21mpg the way I drive. Was 25 mpg on standard tyres.

Paul

For all, the dog had been removed, just need to pohto shop thepic aswell now!!

The gearing seems ok. I do know 2 people who run 36/12.5/16 Simexs on 80 series and one who runs 37/13.5/16 on one. But the 37s do change it a bit. I still can get above a tonne with those tyres on. But it is a little slower getting there. As for the braking, well thats fine the ABS works fine as I found out yesterday. MPG is down a little, 21mpg the way I drive. Was 25 mpg on standard tyres.

Paul

Looks much better with a little meat on the tyres ;)

Can take the tiddle out of your toyota you hired but was alot better than that pile of carp wrangler that i hired to pick up Jules and you from Cairns Airport :lol::lol::lol:

Paul

The winge like crazy here that the toyota fuel ecomny is carp compaired to the land rover (110 and Disco) Had it all the time while going round aus. So surprised you get 25 mpg

Well with the 2" lift and the tyres the body rasied up by almost 7 inches. But to me the tyres do not look too big for the body?

Paul

No you are right - 35's look great - spot on

When I went from 33" BFG MT's to 35" Simex on my Ibex, the road manners were a lot worse, not for the tread pattern so much, but the extra rolling radius and weight of the tyres putting extra forces on the vehicle.

I noticed the weight again when i went beadlocks.

Does you loss of MPG include the fact that your odometer will now be reading low with the bigger tyres ?

;)

I have one in the style quoted, love it, also love land rovers, would love to have a rover on the front of the 'cruiser as quoted ( Iknow its a bit flash but it DOES look good), any ideas? ;)

fuyel economy wise when i first got the vehicle i used to get 27mpg on a run at 75- with 33" BFG MTs and a lift, as well as problems with the auto box not lcking up i now get 21mpg. Car is going into tbe overhauled shortly so i will take an accurate reading after that- hoping to get the economy back up to 25mpg when i will start chucking veg oil in!!!

Bloody H*ll, in that case you are in luck, i have a space (well 3 in fact) for this Sun 2 Mar and 1 space on the 30 Mar, why not load it up bring it up and lets see how to do it properly.

Yada Yada yada

misunderstandings and offence taken (not by me)

f@*k forums

i wasn't trying to boast, look big, put anyone/thing down so evrybody stop taking humbridge at my comments

out of here

tommer.

p.s. i wasnt bull****ting either :(

Does you loss of MPG include the fact that your odometer will now be reading low with the bigger tyres ?

Well it was under reading on the spedo before and its spot on now. But I am not sure abot if this would have changed the mileodometer.

But as for the mpg, I worked it our over a full to full tank on the road tyres it came with, doing a lot more speed than I should have ;) . Same working it out again with the new tyres, but that was normal driving for over a week.

Paul

To be honest, its because of Toyota, that I have always wanted to own a 4x4.

I first drove a Toyota Hilux Raider Double Cab (the South African expedition/off-road prepped vehicle) many years back....and ever since that day, I have wanted one. A Hilux Raider (NOT a Surf or anything readily available in the UK) is a stunning vehicle and the only thing I would ever want over a Land Rover.

My best mate back in South Africa is a Transport Manager for a company that ships vehicles into Central Africa, and he reckons that the rate of Land Cruisers & Hilux's versus Land Rovers going into Zambia & DRC, is about 10 to 1. Just last month he shipped in 180 Land Cruisers for the UN.

Those numbers must count for something right?!

• 5 months later...

Well, my 2 penny worth on some of the subjects discussed so far:

Discovery 3 as an expedition motor, no thanks. the words landrover and electronics don't sit well together and trying to sort an electronics gremlin that has immobilised you in the middle of the desert doesn't sound appealing. thats why I just bought a 300tdi defender.

TD5, mums got a disco one and it's the worst 4x4 I've ever driven. wouldn't have one if you gave it to me!

Trailers, I have never tried one on an expecition, but everything I have read about expeditions says don't do it! I have used them on miltary vehicles and would say they put massive shock loads through your chassis and drivetrain, ad considerably to the drag through sand and mud, are a bxxxx to reverse, especially off road (and I've spent several years driving artics so know how to reverse a trailer!) and they are not at all easy to recover if seperated from the vehicle. If you need a trailer you've got too much kit!

I have taken my H60 landcruiser to russia and Africa and it was fantastic, although the H60 I bought to travel with mine taking a load of school books to the Gambia needed repairs on a daily basis. although they were straightforward to do and nothing seized.

On the way back though my gearbox started to fail, I think as a result of (relatively) high speeds through europe in hot weather. I looked at 3 landcruisers for replacement boxes and they were all on their last legs, is this a weakspot?

Tom Shepperd, of vehicle based expeditions fame drives a merc G wagon now, and he's pretty much tried them all!

the only reason I now have a 130 is to turn it into a camper is cos the missus wants a toilet and I can't fit that in the landcruiser!!

'If you want to go on an expedition take a landrover, if you want to come back take a landcruiser!'

• 2 weeks later...

www.weltrekordreise.ch

Driving since 1984.....went for a year and did`nt stop....Forest Gump style...just kept on driving....continuoulsy...same truck.....nearly 400,000..........on a petrol engine....Toyota....

lucky sods....

oh ...and I fogot to mention these stat`s :)

News

Overview

Diary

Route Map

Statistics

Information

Countries

Other statistical figures per 18.8.08 (= 8'707th day in Noumea/New Caledonia)

Driven on the right side of the road: in 117 countries during 5'514 days = 451'764 km = 11'668 hours

Driven on the left side of the road: in 43 countries during 2'830 days = 186'362 km = 5'734 hours

On freighters and ferries: in 59 sailings during 363 days

We had 164 flat tires (= every 3'891 km or 106 hours of driving).

We used 67 tires, 31 batteries, 138 spark plugs, 22 air filters, 54 shock absorbers.

We made 91 oil changes with 55 oil filters and 99 times greasing.

We had to take 242 times a ferry or a freighter to cross a river, lake or the sea.

We had to apply for 72 visas, which filled 9 passports and cost US$ 3'200.-per person.

The 160 visited countries had 58 different languages and 135 different currencies.

We visited 141 of the total 195 sovereign and 19 of the 65 non-sovereign countries and other territories of the world.

We have been checked 305 times at the totally 453 border crossings..

We travelled in 20 of the total 24 time-zones.

The highest point the car reached was 5'320 m in Bolivia (Chacaltaya).

The lowest point was in Jordan at -390 m (Dead Sea).

Since 1995 we have given 58 TV interviews in 37 different countries.

The highest average speed we drove in Belgium (71.9 km/h), followed by Denmark (62.3 km/h).

The lowest average speed we drove in the Vatican (10.0 km/h), followed by Gibraltar (11,3 km/h).

The most days and kilometers we spent in the USA (1'118 days = 101'533 km), followed by Australia (318 days = 38'960 km).

The fewest kilometers we drove in the Vatican (2 km), followed by Monaco (19 km).

Generally, the car was moved on 7 out of 10 days (= 70%).

In the average we moved to the next place after 3 days of stay.

We filled up totally 157'400 litres of petrol at 1’671 service stations, average 94 litres per filling.

The highest paid petrol price was US$ 1.85 per litre in August 2008 in New Caledonia, the lowest US$ 0.01¾ per litre in May 1995 in Iran.

The 1000000th driving minute was 6.5.07 in Kupang/Timor/Indonesia..

The 100000th litre of petrol was consumed 28.4.96 in the United Arab Emirates.

The 10000th driving hour was 5.6.95 in Kyrgyzstan.

The 1000th different night place was 2.2.91 in Gabon.

The 100th different country was 28.7.96 in Germany.

The 10th travel anniversary was 18.10.94 in Pakistan.

The 1st place in the Guinness Book of Records was achieved 12.5.97 in the Vatican.

We "shot" about 19'260 slides, 18'660 prints and 27'418 digital pictures, that is every 10 km or 16 minutes of driving one picture.

The 1st 1000 days: 12.7.87 in Bolivia

The 2nd 1000 days: 7.4.90 im Senegal

The 3rd 1000 days: 1.1.93 in Australia

The 4th 1000 days: 28.9.95 in Poland

The 5th 1000 days: 24.6.98 in Iceland

The 6th 1000 days: 21.3.01 in the Dominican Republic

The 7th 1000 days: 16.12.03 in St. Lucia

The 8th 1000 days: 11.9.06 in Brunei

The 1st 100000 miles: 10.9.88 in Paraguay

The 2nd 100000 miles: 13.1.94 in Thailand

The 3rd 100000 miles: 23.1.99 in Italy

The 1st 100000 km: 17.11.86 in Chile