Longer ProComp shocks

ProjectJay

I have +5 9nch Procomps front and rear now on my 90, ....

....needed a fair amount of mods, ......Oh ....and I have absolutely ZERO "Lift" :)

They have taken a load of abuse, ....and are cheapy too :)

Shame rough country don't do the +5s as I would prefer more damper / stiffer damping than the ProComps Offer :(

But all in all I rate them

Nige

Shame rough country don't do the +5s as I would prefer more damper / stiffer damping than the ProComps Offer :(

But all in all I rate them

Nige

?

replaced my rear +3 procomps with +5 rough country (from LLama 4x4) so they do do the longer lengths. Though on the subjec tof damping I (and others) feel the rough country shocks have softer damping (which is fine just needs more care on the road).

?

replaced my rear +3 procomps with +5 rough country (from LLama 4x4) so they do do the longer lengths. Though on the subjec tof damping I (and others) feel the rough country shocks have softer damping (which is fine just needs more care on the road).

Oh :( Thats my Firework well and truly extingushed - I thought RC were MORE Damped than proComp :(, .............christ they must be soft

Nige :(

Rough country dampers should be about the same as standard land rover items, however the standard setup for a rough country on the rear is with a gwyn lewis mount, which angles the damper more, giving relativerly more travel and less damping.

You could always ask david at Llama about the 12" units he has imported (not sure if he still is) that were origionally ment for a big american pickup (can't remember which one, but something like a F350 with an 8" lift). IIRC he was supplying them for max traction kits where the dampers are angled forwards more than a gwyn lewis setup. The do however have the opposite fittings on the ends, eye-eye rather than pin-pin

I have always gone back to pro comp ES9000 , Ihave used Rough country shocks but their road manners is like driving a jelly car through a bowl of porridge . Good off road but thats it .

Buy Pro comp from the right dealer and they come with a no quibble lifetime guarantee .Ive broke a few and they replace them without a return of the damaged unit .

I suppose it was inevitable that I would have to leap in at this point to defend Rough Country shocks....

There are now hundreds and hundreds of them out there ( with a tiny failure rate that has pleased me greatly ) and soft damping is an issue that has raised it head before but only 2 or 3 times.... therefore leaving hundreds of satisfied ( or mute ) customers who are more than happy.

The 'soft' issue has only ever been raised on the 11" travel shocks ( part number 9316 ) which, as it happens, are valved exactly the same as the std and +2" parts. This means on the front there should be no issue as they fit in the manner of a std / +2" part and work in the same plane.

On the rear they are inclined forwards slightly ( using a Gwyn Lewis ) bracket. This will of course slightly reduce therir damping effect over the suspension but is what adds to the oberall travel of the kit. One 'soft', bouncy complaint was sorted quickly and easily by fitting new bushes and washers in the right order!

The comments all seem to be along the lines of great offroad / bit soft on road, which given the inclined shock on the rear may well be the case. BUT these comments are aimed at an 'offroad' suspension package! There is always a compromise and a shock that os good offroad and acceptable on road fitted to a car that is built for offroading must surely be par for the course if not desireable.

I would suggest that the LR with the 11" shock kit on also has some non standard springs, big knobbly mud tyres, non standard steering/suspension geometry and with or without soft or hard dampers will by its very nature handle like a pig!! Even to ask an offroader to 'handle' on the road is an unreasonable request.

I am looking at some new bushings in the near future for the 11" shocks but the rate will stay the same until more feedback is received... at the moment 3 or 4 complaints to several hundred satisfied does not offer grounds for changing anything...

Many thanks

David

David,

Not so much a Complaint from me more of a grunt and a moan :lol:

I have VERY soft springs on the 90, which allow the articulation I wnated, but I wouldlike HARDER shocks, the ProComps I have at the mo +5s all around are good, no, frankly VERY Good for the money but soft :(. When I had a set of koni shocks they were adjustable and absolutely superb, but they and others just don't do the long lengths I wnat - If anyone did I would have had a set by now :)

My options to find a set look up when I saw (above) that Rough Country did +5s, for some reason I thought the damping was harder than ProComps, but then the comments really advised that they are very similar :(

Any chance of a cusome set ?.....the MX series etc, but they have the wrong ends.

Its something I will have to resolve - time and where on the list as its not going to be an easy fix ie adjustable shocks :(

HetyHo

Nige

sorry to hijack, but i shall be looking for new shockers pretty soon for my standard height discovery 1. As yet i do not think i want to actually lift it any but i may always decide otherwise in the future.

how long a shock can i fit as standard? plus 2? do i lose a lot of upward travel with a plus 2inch shock?

how about if i brought 2inch extended turrets and shock mounts into the equation?

the plan is to do the arches to fit 255/85R16 tyres and have no lift if possible for now. for me, the cons of a lift outweigh the pros at least for now

jim

at the moment 3 or 4 complaints to several hundred satisfied does not offer grounds for changing anything...

Hi David

You seem to be taking this the wrong way. Complaints is the wrong word, feedback is correct.

I wasn't complaining, I merely fed back to you that in my opinion the damping is too soft for on-road use. Fitted on a 90 it pitches and dives too much and bounces, It's fine but could be better. This is a 90 running standard LR red/blue & yellow/white 90 HD springs rated 225lbs/".

Your comment about it them being for off-road use is not appropriate. They would be just as good off-road if the damping effect was higher and would provide much better handling on-road especially for a vehicle with soft springs like Nige's. I don't know enough about shock design, maybe it's tough to produce a long shock that has more damping and still be able to give it a linear response over the length of it's travel.

Anyway, if it was possible to produce a shock with the same travel as the 9316 but with more damping effect it would be an improvement. Simple as that. I suspect that if it was economically possible to do this you would sell more.

Cheers

Steve

I am still yet unconvinced that the damping rate should be changed - though I am prepared to keep listening....

Any vehicle that has springs too soft fdor the job will benefit in one direction but lose in the other if you get what i mean - i am still wittering about compromise. To live with lovely supple springs will always lead to seasickness on twisty roads - to make the dampers so hard that they will compensate would make them too stiff to allow the lovely supple movement offroad.

In std and +2" lengths where the fittings are 'normal' the RC shocks are valved specifically as per a standard shock just with the benfits of being gas ones rather than simple hydraulic. The 9316 ( 11" ) ones are valved exactly the same which means on the front they are still as LR intended with the added benefits of gas and much longer travel.

On the rear they are inclined which will cost damping effect but will allow travel.... this is the compromise we make to enoy better offroading....

Whilst I accept that an offroad capable Lotus exige might be nice you are not going to buy one for £160!!! So unless big money is introduced we will always have to compromise the road for offroad and vice versa....

I see we ( might just be me ) could go in circles with this argument but for a suspension sytem that is designed for offroading to lose a bit of road handling is permissable, especially when much of the problem lies in the rate of the springs and not the valving of the dampers.....

David

Damping rate unrelated feedback

David

Have you looked into the costs of having RC dampers produced with steel stone guard like standard land rover dampers. Obviously its its going to be more expensive, but the plastic guators are one of the most disliked features on dampers like RC and procomps.

^^ I second that!!! bloody pointless rubber gaiters cause more problems than they solve!!

i've got the plus 5" rough countrys all round. I previously had procomps on, but kept pulling eyes off as my setup would allow considerably more travel than the shocks would.

I'm really happy with the feel of the rough country shocks... They do feel softer on the road front and back than pro comps, but I think the pro comps felt a little overdamped on the road anyway, with my light (er!) than average ninety. Its been so long since my ninety has had standard dampers that I couldnt comment on how they feel compared to OE!

Off road, they keep the axles under control through an excellent range of movement and dont allow any oscilation of the springs... what more could I ask from dampers?

I have had a little quality problem with the chroming on the rough countrys, but with the (as per usual) excellent customer service from david at llama, this shouldnt prove to be a problem.

Damping rate unrelated feedback

David

Have you looked into the costs of having RC dampers produced with steel stone guard like standard land rover dampers. Obviously its its going to be more expensive, but the plastic guators are one of the most disliked features on dampers like RC and procomps.

Yes, watch this space for a 'coming soon advert'......

David