driving and looking better already..

SteveG

Fitted the 255/85 16 BFG Mud's today...

newtyresfront3q.jpg

It's driving better on-road. I find the TD5 a bit undergeared on-road in standard form so addition of bigger tyres is better for me. I appreciate that LR has geared it for good towing,so no compalints.

newtyresside.jpg

Need to try them out in low properly off-road, but going from a V8 auto running on 35" simex, I'm sure it's going to be slow enough going down hills for me ;);)

Lastly I think they look better too.. :P

mixed.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Nice one! Have those got more off set then most modulars? They fill the arches just nicely

Yeah I noticed that too, The outside edge of the tyre lines up with the spat almost exactly. It didn't on the hybrid with the same set-up.

I'll measure the off-set tomorrow. Didn't have time today, had to head out straight after fitting them. I even had to wait about 4 hours to drive it with them on! ;) Hence later pics have fog.

They were standard modulars from Nene Valley. I understood from Chris, GBMUD, that modulars used to have a greater off-set, but they changed it a few years back.

yes LR90 the comparison pic does show the contrast!! :)

Cheers

Steve

Looks very nice indeed - but I'd be interested to learn whether you notice any difference in the braking performance on-road.

My RRC is on 235/85s, and although there doesn't seem to be anything obviously wrong with the brakes they're not quite as sharp as I'd like. I suspect it's the tyre diameter, but before I start swapping out servos and so on...

Edited by jamesm

Tyre diameter makes a big difference - when I ran 31" tyres every day and 33" tyres occasionally, the difference in braking was really noticeable when you swapped. As was the difference in acceleration - the 33s felt horrible when you first put them on!

when I ran 31" tyres every day and 33" tyres occasionally, the difference in braking was really noticeable when you swapped.
Thanks for that - surprising that it makes such a difference, though. Given that the radius of my wheels has increased by 10%, I'd have thought the brakes would be working 10% harder - about the same as carrying a couple of passengers with a fondness for pies ...or have I missed something?

It is surprising - I don't know what the "measureable" difference is but the "feel" is completely different when driving the vehicle - particularly on acceleration. It's things like pulling up hills and pulling out of slow corners off boost that you really notice, with 31" tyres on the old 90 and a tweaked fuel pump it felt quite racy :) put 33" on and it felt like you had a trailer on the back :(

To illustrate what I mean - we have a Td5 90 on the fleet at work with 205R16s on. As long as there are no policemen looking, there is a hill in town that you can go up in 5th gear, which a vehicle on 7.50R16s will only pull 3rd on...