heated front screen

bit of a result! got me a 1983 90 the other day perfect doors, good bulkhead, chassis that only needs a small patch on the rear x/member, lovely 2.5n/a quietest i ever heard no clunks from the tranny at all, needs painting but hey. looked underneath and theres a stainless exhaust! anyhoo got to tidying the interior this evening and noticed a spade connector attached to the windscreen thought hmmm thats odd, carried on tidying and found two more. one either side and one in the middle. looking closer i then saw the wires in the glass and,happy days, a heated front screen!!! question is how do i wire it up to work? please bear in mind i'm a complete idiot when it comes to electrics so if some kind member could post it up in the fashion of "connect the power to terminal XX on relay, connect screen to terminal xx on relay"etc etc that would enable me to get it working.

oh yeah the thing only cost me €500 about £350ish so to say i'm pleased is a bit of an understatement!

bit of a result! got me a 1983 90 the other day perfect doors, good bulkhead, chassis that only needs a small patch on the rear x/member, lovely 2.5n/a quietest i ever heard no clunks from the tranny at all, needs painting but hey. looked underneath and theres a stainless exhaust! anyhoo got to tidying the interior this evening and noticed a spade connector attached to the windscreen thought hmmm thats odd, carried on tidying and found two more. one either side and one in the middle. looking closer i then saw the wires in the glass and,happy days, a heated front screen!!! question is how do i wire it up to work? please bear in mind i'm a complete idiot when it comes to electrics so if some kind member could post it up in the fashion of "connect the power to terminal XX on relay, connect screen to terminal xx on relay"etc etc that would enable me to get it working.

oh yeah the thing only cost me €500 about £350ish so to say i'm pleased is a bit of an understatement!

Vince you lucky barsteward ;)

Heated_Windscreen.pdf

• 2 years later...

Right, I got myself a heated windscreen fitted today, exactly like the one in the diagram in the .pdf. All I want to know before ordering the parts is:

Does that 70amp relay include a timer? Do I need one as it's a two tab screen? Should I get a different relay, if so does anyone have recommendations?

Right, I got myself a heated windscreen fitted today, exactly like the one in the diagram in the .pdf. All I want to know before ordering the parts is:

Does that 70amp relay include a timer? Do I need one as it's a two tab screen? Should I get a different relay, if so does anyone have recommendations?

Have a look at this thread:

Linky

You only need a pair of normal 30A relays, a switch and a fuse. If you're happy to have the front screen come on with the rear one, you don't even need the switch!

Have a look at this thread:

Linky

You only need a pair of normal 30A relays, a switch and a fuse. If you're happy to have the front screen come on with the rear one, you don't even need the switch!

I've read through all the posts on this forum pertaining to heated windscreens. Mine is a pilkington one which just comes with two tabs at the bottom, one in each corner.

As there's some confusion as to whether the two tab single element windscreen should have a timer to protect the element or not, I'm trying to clarify this.

I'm going to run it off a separate switch, which will have it's own light so I can see that it's running or not. I'm hoping just to adapt the harness in the .pdf to keep it all neat and looking as genuine as possible as I'm selling it soon.

As there's some confusion as to whether the two tab single element windscreen should have a timer to protect the element or not, I'm trying to clarify this.

I can't see why you'd need to protect it, as they don't get that hot (large surface area) and the rising temperature will cause the current drawn to drop away until it gets to an equilibrium. A timer would irritate me, as it would probably go off too early half the time.

If its any help, the rear window heater doesn't have one ...

Guessing this is a good place to ask where i buy a heated windscreen from.... Anyone bought an 'aftermarket' one before?

Mine has a standard (scratched) windscreen & i need a new one, figured id go heated this time!

Thanks in advance!

I just had one fitted by Nationwide Windscreens (York) Ltd, cost me just over £200 + VAT including fitting. That was on a new install though with no insurance, if you have windscreen insurance you can probably arrange to pay for the difference if your excess isn't too steep.

I've done it in the past, there's a knack to it but getting the old one out isn't too difficult, just a case of pushing it outwards while you prise the rubber with a suitable tool. You can buy a reasonable tool for the job from Frost Autos. You have to "bend" the glass slightly as it comes out so broken windscreens are a LOT easier to remove.

Getting the new one in is done using a piece of rope to pull the seal through. In simple terms you put the glass in the rubber, feed the rope into the gap where the frame will go, rest the screen against the frame on the outside and then pull the rope from the inside. The rope pulls the rubber seal in. Easy if you've done it a few times.

Having said that, I prefer to pay someone else to do it because even professionals can crack the glass form time to time. If you pay for someone else to do it and it cracks as they put it in or develops a stress fracture a week later or turns out o have a faulty heated element you get a free replacement fitted.

• 2 years later...