New to old block swap?

Fish13

Hi,

My engine is in need of an overhaul in my 1988 EFi Rangie. I've got the option of an early (I believe 70's?) engine as a swap, and I was wondering what differences in the base unit their might be?

I plan to swap over all the EFi stuff onto the 'new' engine - can anyone point out any problems with that?

Much appreciated,

Hugo.

Hi,

The early-early block might have rope-type rear crank oil seal. Not necessarily carp, but the newer seals must be better.

The ealy block will come with a lesser-rated oil pump on the timing cover. Can be uprated.

The later blocks have some stiffer casting, but nothing that really matters I think.

The later blocks surely have some improved big end bearing cap seats in them. Using studs rather than the bolts to clamp down the bearing caps is considered to be a good idea anyway.

The later heads have some larger valves (introduced with SD1 - aera).

That´s all that I can offer by this advanced night time

Des Hammills book "How To power Tune The Rover v8" is highly recommended. You´ll find every detail in there.

Hi,

The early-early block might have rope-type rear crank oil seal. Not necessarily carp, but the newer seals must be better.

The ealy block will come with a lesser-rated oil pump on the timing cover. Can be uprated.

The later blocks have some stiffer casting, but nothing that really matters I think.

The later blocks surely have some improved big end bearing cap seats in them. Using studs rather than the bolts to clamp down the bearing caps is considered to be a good idea anyway.

The later heads have some larger valves (introduced with SD1 - aera).

That´s all that I can offer by this advanced night time

Des Hammills book "How To power Tune The Rover v8" is highly recommended. You´ll find every detail in there.

You can't just "Change the block" without getting the crank alignment checked.

The block must also have the machine caps that it was made with, or are you using the block rods crank pistons ?

In which case some are 10.5:1 compression and you need to check valave cleanaces, early heads are hopless

Crank seal can be remachined for later rubber types, front cover can be used form old engine to give rubber front seal and bigger pump if OK

Other than this all of the above on top

Nige

Sorry guys, bit misleading - I'm just wanting to know about the EFi stuff really?

The donor engine is complete, but was carbs, I just want to know if all the EFi stuff will fit? I've got a feeling I'll have to swap the front covers over as mine has air con pulley and a different water pump to the donor?

Cheers,

Hugo.

Sorry guys, bit misleading - I'm just wanting to know about the EFi stuff really?

The donor engine is complete, but was carbs, I just want to know if all the EFi stuff will fit? I've got a feeling I'll have to swap the front covers over as mine has air con pulley and a different water pump to the donor?

Cheers,

Hugo.

AH !

Ok

The "Core" (Block crank pistons rods) will fit, to be safe and without the exact info of what the donor is from fit all the efi stuff INC Heads sump front cover dizzy etc etc. Nuts and bolts no big issues.

However early blocks (10.5: 1) have rope seals, front and rear of the crank, by using the front EFI Tinming cover that repalces that - but the crank one may be worth a machine shop converting to later seal type - it would need to be very early to have rope seals tho :)

HTH

nige