"Extreme"/Offroad vehicle builders/companies

Lewis

Owing to my complete lack of enthusiasm, and general apathy, my 90 sits unfinished and untouched for 3months now

Can anyone recommend any persons or companies that could finish it for me to a good standard, under my loose instruction? Obviously money is a constraint so I cant go running to Devon 4x4 or Scorpion racing for the final solution, but will spend a bit more for the right result

Distance within the UK is no problem

Thanks

Lewis :)

I think everyone (yup, even me!) goes through periods of inactivity and lethargy when it comes to building stuff. Particularly over the winter it has to be said!

I would just wait until your enthusiasm returns - and take time to enjoy the journey. After all, 3 months is nothing compared to my 15 month build - or even my friend Mr Warne!

Si

What is causing the apathy. Lack of sense of achievment. ie lots of work but no visible results. Time constraints or just been plain lazy or personal issues. If you farm the work out it will never be exactly as you want. And going by your previous posts/projects you've posted you are capable of the work. Perhaps if you did a few jobs on the 90 that look like you've achieved something it might spur you on to complete. Perhaps the break from building has been a little to long. And you've got out of the routine of going to the shed for a couple of hours. Or do you ned a quick kick up the arse

Ha ha, I'm at a healthy 15 months. Enthusiasm comes and goes, some evenings I can't wait to get into the workshop, some evenings I just want to sit in front of the TV with a beer or 2 particularly if I've had a couple of evenings where I feel I haven't got anywhere. The important thing is to stick with it and try and tackle the build one job at a time otherwise it's just too daunting! Does it really matter if it drags on a bit? Not really. In many ways it means you can think through everything so you're less likely to do something on a whim and regret it.

As far as builders go, it won't be cheap whoever you go to - it'll be either expensive or 'are you sitting down, sir?'. In the end custom work means lots of hours and that means big bills.

I think I bit off more than I can chew - what I want really is probably my car in this photo, but with lockers and my current wheels and tyres, and road legal.

SD531173.jpg

But I got carried away with trying to outdo god knows who and build some kind of super - thing dispite having no competitiveness in me (no desire to win comps, or even compete really) and only go to the monthly pay and play with my mates who have quite normal cars (90's on simex etc)

What its taken me a while to realise is that I dont "Love" the present car or even the idea of the car, not like I did in the picture above. I like Land rovers, thats why I own one, and I want my land rover to look like a land rover, I just love the defender wings and grill despite its shortcomings

I had toyed with the idea of buying another (more complete) 90 and glueing my cage/tubework, lockered axles and wheels/tyres, and winches on and being done with it, but it seems a shame to ditch what I've got having spent so much time if not money to get to this point

Anyone want to glue the front end back on for me? :rolleyes:

Does it really matter if it drags on a bit? Not really.

Yes, it does to me, I want out be out offroading in my own car - I've had the damn thing 18months and its only been out twice and its frustrating.

Perhaps I didnt make it clear, but I didnt get to a point where I suddenly thought "argh, theres too much work to do so I wont do anything", the problem is that I dont want to do it, I cannot find the enthusiasm or desire to do the work required despite being capable (or otherwise) of doing it

I've just reached a point where I want it done with and sorted, and be back using it

Hallo Lewis stranger ;),

I take it you're not building the 90 you want. I suspect your build has become a monster which started to find it's own way rather than your own :)

Get another 90, put the gear that you want on it from the old one and then sell the rest off. Build the 90 you want. Enough agonising, get on with it ;)

Mo

It's not a waste to ditch a major portion of the vehicle if you're not going where you want to be going. It may have eaten a load of time and money, but would you recoup any of it if you sold it? If not, then on paper it's no more of a waste to write it off than it would be to try and sell it for (relatively) peanuts. All it's cost you is time.

You clearly have the skills to build the truck you want, I'd just decide on the end point and crack on, and think of all the money you're saving not having to pay someone to do it.

The vehicle as it stands now is worth zero if I were to sell it. And I would probably never sell it for that very reason

My rationale for paying someone else for what I can probably do myself is this: I enjoy my job, and I'm not enjoying working on the car, so why not do more hours at work and pay someone else to work on the car. Everyones a winner :)

Can I interest you in the job Fridge?

may sound daft mate but is it driveable/useable (even if i can appreciate, not on the road)

perhaps if you gave it a good thrashing at kirton or the like you would get some kinda second wind with it through its sheer ability?

just a thought. for what it's worth, it's been a very impressive build that has inspired such as me.

jim

may sound daft mate but is it driveable/useable?

just a thought. for what it's worth, it's been a very impressive build that has inspired such as me.

Sadly not, it needs a fuel tank, rad, airbox, starter, alternator, pas pump and pipes, the axles attaching, somekind of steering, some way of transmitting drive from the gearbox to the axles, brakes piping up, some kind of springs and dampers, and a wiring loom. :D

Theres probably more but I cant remember right now. But yes, I know exactly what you mean, its a planned trip to Kirton in feb thats reminded me that last time we went it was with my car and now I want to do something about it

What is causing the apathy. Lack of sense of achievment. ie lots of work but no visible results. Time constraints or just been plain lazy or personal issues. If you farm the work out it will never be exactly as you want. And going by your previous posts/projects you've posted you are capable of the work. Perhaps if you did a few jobs on the 90 that look like you've achieved something it might spur you on to complete. Perhaps the break from building has been a little to long. And you've got out of the routine of going to the shed for a couple of hours. Or do you ned a quick kick up the arse
Don't be such a girl,

Adapt, overcome and finish the thing!

Says it all really. I have been in the situation, but pressed on eventually. It took 4 years to get it going eventually, of what I was expecting to take a year. There have been periods of 3 months or longer with no activity, but usually I went to look at an event or codrive for someone else and after that I had a fresh aproach to it all and carried on. I am glad I didnt pay someone else to do it, as mentioned it will never be exactly what you wanted.

Daan

Bits are often worth more than complete cars. Take it all apart, sell the bits you do not want to bolt onto a new 90 and go buy a 90 from somewhere with the proceeds/overtime money. Then go out and enjoy the reasons for owning a Landrover.

I too have been in the position of building a car that turned out to be more work than I had anticipated and was never really what I wanted in the first place - if only I had realised that before starting! Enthusiasm went out of the window and the car ended up with the nickname "Lo-brid". It eventually got broken up and sold/scrapped/used in other projects and I went on to buy the 90 I wanted in the first place but thought I could not afford.

Chris

Can I interest you in the job Fridge?

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm still shedless and don't really have the gear necessary to do proper fabrication in my back garden :(

Given how much it'd likely cost to get someone to tart it up (that's quite a job list you've got) you may as well buy a 90 for a couple of grand, maybe even one that has a few toys already, and transfer the bits to it. At least you're on the road then and can enjoy it, upgrading in between playing.

Stunning services = £25 ph but very hard to get prices for bespoke building of parts

he has been building racers for over 20yrs and his cages have saved my life on several occasions and all but one were compsafari rolls at 50mph + mostly end over end.

I have recommended him to people who wanted him to finish builds before and I think they have been happy with his service.

If your interested Peter Barrett 07809273943.

He built my challenge truck.. I did stop challenging a good three years ago but it was a strong reliable truck

Don't be such a girl,

Adapt, overcome and finish the thing!

To a degree I agree, your committed now, many hours spent getting to this point.

I would see the options as:

1) Just get on with it.

2) Monies allowing, buy a cheap plaything and complete the beast in your own time and enjoy doing it (lets face it, you have a good side kick to hand).

3) Sell it and take a knock to the chin - buy a standard motor.

I know exactly how your thinking, which is why my RR is hanging on for dear life, I am about to start my vapour build, but I want it good from the outset so its not going to be quick.

I really enjoy my RR, it can do 90% of the stuff the "big boys" do and has a 100% attendance record for each monthly playday, I can think of numerous "ultimate" trucks that only have a 20% attendance because they are on the limits.

From the outset I never started anything where funds / time / skills etc would be a problem and this thinking has served me well.

I really enjoy my RR, it can do 90% of the stuff the "big boys" do and has a 100% attendance record for each monthly playday, I can think of numerous "ultimate" trucks that only have a 20% attendance because they are on the limits.

90% :lol:

Theres 50% of the site that your wading abilitys won't let you visit at the mo :P

pah 15 months is nothing, i'm at 27 months now just for a chassis swap! well it started as just a chassis swap.... i get the same feelings as you do mate, i have all the cars in my sig to finish too, i think it helps having more than one project cos then when one of them is p-ing you off you can go and play with the other one... I would echo the above advice and get a cheap toy to play with/use while you finish yours ( dare i mention a suzuki :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: ), then the pressure is off and you can finish yours when you get some enthusiasm back?

I find a good way to get things started again after big 'cant be bothered spell' is to get some new shiny bits in, get a lot of mates over and get a good day done, where you have lots of manpower and bits to fit and you feel like you got loads done...

There should be a LR pdf manual for 'Countermeasures for when your LR starts using psychological warfare' :lol:

Mike

Lewis,

Been there and done that, know exactly how you feel

When I built the old Hybrid from scratch I started with a 'fevered enthusiasm',

this sort of slowed down as did the work,........

till I started to HATE the Hybrid - and its was really half way done :(

Its why you see so many adverts "Unfinished project for sale just needs ......X Y Z".

People start things with huge beliefs, then to grind to a halt, happens to all of us.... :(

The answer is to make a list of the remaining jobs - and ONLY put something on that list to get it MOT'd / usable.

Then pin the list in the workshop, and concentrate on just ONE part at a time - you'll find crossing off jobs starts to help you see the end in sight.

If you have any mates who you feel have the standard you need 'begging noises' can help :lol:

Don't set unrealistic targets - that will just hack you off.

Forget pefection and 100% spec at the mo, just get it MOT'd running, the "Nice bits and bobs" can come later, a Hybrid / Special is never really finished anyway.....I .........bought the 90 as I was sick of the high maintenance of the Hybrid, 4 years on and I am still Modifying it :lol:.... :ph34r:

I would say that if you wnat the job doing properly then do it yourself,

farming work out to others normally means you will be disappointed or not happy either build style wise / qulaity wise / or finish wise, if it is done properly then you definately won't be happy £s wise - as it will seriously cost you, ...........chances are it will be a mix of all of them.

So, make a list

Pin it up

One thing at a Time

Only do something that moves it closer to Usability / MOT'd etc

DO SOMETHING every week as a minimum,

give yourself a kick up the Ar$e and make yourself move it forwards a bit at a time,

you will get there

Nige

90% :lol:

Theres 50% of the site that your wading abilitys won't let you visit at the mo :P

Lol, bitchy, yours is 10% attendance on a good day

Wading is relative, mine is limited by height of truck! The same height which stops me rolling over on a mole hill :lol::lol::lol:

Oh and of course the new hill climb - and to quote you "my diesel would not do"